Entertainment Blog

Top thoughts from Sunday's Grammy Awards

By Katie Abdilla          Posted: 02/11/13 12:06pm         

I’ll admit it, I’ve never watched the entire Grammy awards show — until this year.

Unlike past years, I was determined to watch the Grammys in their entirety, start to finish. And throughout the show, I accumulated some strong opinions, both positive and negative. Without further ado, here’s my countdown of the most standout moments of the Grammys.

1. Taylor Swift channeled her inner Alice in Wonderland, her performance of “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” akin with a ringleader costumes and dancing rabbits. And a man attached to a spinning wheel. And a reference to her most recent ex, One Direction’s Harry Styles. Now, I understand being a little unhappy with an ex — but announcing it to everyone via Grammy performance? Taylor, you’re supposed to be an adult, capable of keeping your personal problems out of the public eye. Grow up.

2. Ed Sheeran’s performance of his single “The A Team” with music legend Elton John came as a pleasant surprise. I never would have thought to pair them together, but as soon as I saw it, it suddenly made perfect sense. Oh, and that little high-five they exchanged in front of the crowd? Precious; just precious.

3. Chris Brown, to no surprise, just loves to publicly display his rudeness. After a public fistfight with singer/songwriter Frank Ocean just days ago, Brown did not stand out of respect when Ocean beat him for the best urban contemporary album Grammy. Granted, he might not be happy with the singer at the current moment, but it’s just the right thing to do. He had the perfect opportunity to bury the hatchet and completely bypassed it, making an even bigger, unsavory spectacle.

4. Justin Timberlake’s performance of his new single, “Suit & Tie,” brought fandom of vintage proportions. The singer turned the performance into a black-and-white affair, complete with a bow tie and old school choreography. I’m not the biggest fan of the song, but a throwback to my favorite era of style and music can’t hurt.