Thursday, October 2, 2014

Entertainment Blog

Disney to produce "Boy Meets World" spin-off

By Katie Ziraldo          Posted: 11/07/12 8:01pm         

Following the buyout of Lucasfilm, the Disney family has made another big announcement. The Disney Channel currently is working on casting roles for its upcoming “Boy Meets World” spin-off, “Girl Meets World.”

In case you were living under a rock in the ‘90s, “Boy Meets World” was a seven-season hit Disney Channel show that followed the life of Cory Matthews as he struggled to find his place in the world. Cory was joined by his best friend, Shawn, and love interest, Topanga, as well as many other characters, as they moved through high school and college.

But the spin-off’s title isn’t the only thing that’s familiar. The show will follow 13-year-old Riley Matthews, daughter of Cory and Topanga, who got married during the final season of “Boy Meets World.”

Riley’s best friend, Maya, is said to be much more pessimistic than Riley. Maya will have grown up without a father and will look to Cory, her seventh-grade history teacher, as a father figure. Cory likely will become the new Mr. Feeny for his daughter’s generation, but fans still are hoping to see at least a cameo from the original “Fee-hee-hee-heeny!” Also featured will be Riley’s older brother, Elliot, who is the stereotypical bossy older brother.

Some fans are worried that the spin-off will jeopardize the quality of the original, but it seems highly unlikely at this point. The pilot episode will be written and produced by Michael Jacobs, one of the executive producers of the original series.

Overall, the ‘90s generation is buzzing over the spin-off. Ben Savage (Cory) and Danielle Fishel (Topanga) are highly projected to have both signed on for the series, and Disney currently is holding auditions for Riley and Maya for the pilot episode.