Tuesday, July 29, 2014 | Last updated: 4:39pm

Academics and Administration Blog

This isn't the blog post you're looking for

By Alex McClung          Posted: 01/13/13 7:21pm         

Although President Barack Obama and his administration might say they are pro-infrastructure development, it seems that the sky is literally the limit.

The White House issued an official statement last week, responding to a petition with more than 34,000 signatures calling for the administration to secure resources and funding and begin construction of a “Death Star” by 2016. The petition argues the Death Star should be created so “the government can spur job creation in the fields of construction, engineering, space exploration, and more, and strengthen our national defense.”

For those who do not know, the Death Star is an infamous space station in George Lucas’s “Star Wars” series able to destroy spaceships and planets with one blast of its laser.

The United States might have the highest-spending defense budget in the world, but the Obama administration wasn’t on board for its own Death Star.

Paul Shawcross, the chief of the science and space branch at the White House Office of Management and Budget, wrote on behalf of the administration and cited the $850 quadrillion construction cost of the Death Star as part of its reasoning for not going forward with its development.

“The Administration does not support blowing up planets,” Shawcross wrote.

The White House said it would respond to any petitions with more than 25,000 signatures when it set up its petition website.

Though most of the statement was cheeky and in good humor, Shawcross did remind readers that the United States already has a space station — the International Space Station — that orbits the Earth with six astronauts from three countries, including the United States.