Thursday, November 27, 2014

Academics and Administration Blog

Eli Broad spotted in TMZ video with L.A. mayor

By Lilly Keyes          Posted: 01/09/13 8:09pm         

While scanning the TMZ website, most students expect to see videos of the Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift or the Kardashians and the latest scandal they’re associated with — rarely do they stumble upon MSU figureheads such as Eli Broad.

After Charlie Sheen tweeted a photo of himself and L.A. mayor Antonio Villaraigosa partying in Baja California, Mexico, the mayor used Broad as a pawn to avoid a TMZ reporter’s question about he and Sheen’s alleged night together.

“Charlie said you didn’t really party for hours,” the reporter said to the mayor, who looked uncomfortable with the reporter’s topic.

“All I can tell you is, I don’t have anything else to say about that,” Villaraigosa said before putting his arm around Broad and simultaneously dodging the question, TMZ’s video showed. “I do want to talk about this, though. … We paid them to come and they came. Want to take a picture with me?”

The MSU alumnus, who played no part in the Charlie Sheen controversy, was with Villaraigosa for a ceremony celebrating the start of another art museum under his name, which will be one of roughly 500 museums and galleries he and his wife Edythe have created worldwide, according to the Broad Art Foundation website.

According to artdaily.org, the museum is set to open in 2014 and will serve as the headquarters for the Broad Art Foundation.