U-M fires gymnastics coach linked to Nassar shortly after hiring her

The University of Michigan fired gymnastics coach Rhonda Faehn on Jan. 13 following criticism regarding her connection to the ex-MSU doctor Larry Nassar scandal. Faehn previously worked at USA Gymnastics, or USAG. 

Faehn began working at the university on Thursday, and her hiring was announced on Saturday, the Detroit Free Press reported. She lasted less than one week at U-M, where she worked as a coaching consultant for the women’s gymnastics team.

After her hiring, many members of the Board of Regents including Mark Bernstein, Denise Ilitch and Jordan Acker voiced concern and disappointment regarding the university’s decision to hire Faehn, the Detroit Free Press reported. The announcement that the U-M Athletics Department is ending its “consulting relationship” between Faehn and the women’s gymnastics team came shortly afterwards. 

“I have come to the conclusion that it is not in the best interest of the University of Michigan and our athletic program to continue the consulting contract with Rhonda Faehn,” Warde Manuel, U-M's athletics director, said in a press release Sunday night.

“It was the wrong decision, and I apologize. Our student-athletes are our highest priority and I want to do everything in my power to support them fully and put the focus back on their athletic performance.”

Faehn was first told about what USAG characterizes as “athlete concerns” regarding Nassar on June 17, 2015, according to the IndyStar

A month later, Olympic gold medalist Aly Raisman said she told Faehn in “graphic detail” about her abuse. 

"I reported my abuse to Rhonda Faehn and so did Maggie Nichols, and I don't know what she did or didn't do with that information, but I didn't get contacted by the FBI for over a year, and in that time 50 to 100 gymnasts were molested," Raisman told the IndyStar in May 2018. 

U-M said they carefully evaluated Faehn’s past before hiring her as a coach, the Detroit Free Press reported. This claim triggered negative responses via social media from many, including U-M students and Nassar survivors. 

Rachael Denhollander, the first woman to come forward publicly about being assaulted by Nassar, voiced her opinion in a tweet that read:

"When we learned that her illegal failure to report lead to more abuse, she didn't speak up, apologize, or help hold USAG accountable. No excuses for the failure, or her response when it became known. She was VP of the women's program. She was in charge. This matters.”

After Faehn's termination, a few members of the U-M women's gymnastics team disagreed with the university's decision.

Nassar, who also worked as a doctor for USAG, is serving a 60-year federal sentence on child pornography-related charges. Other individuals employed by USA Gymnastics have had legal action taken against them as well. 

Faehn was hired after former coaching staff member Scott Vetere was fired and banned from the campus for having sex with a female student athlete. 

Share and discuss “U-M fires gymnastics coach linked to Nassar shortly after hiring her” on social media.