Ex-dean of MSU's College of Osteopathic Medicine William Strampel in circuit court this week

Former MSU dean William Strampel sits during his preliminary hearing  on June 5, 2018 at the 54B District Court. Strampel is charged with four criminal charges including a fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct charge and a felony count of misconduct in office.
Former MSU dean William Strampel sits during his preliminary hearing on June 5, 2018 at the 54B District Court. Strampel is charged with four criminal charges including a fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct charge and a felony count of misconduct in office. —
Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

Ex-MSU dean of MSU's College of Osteopathic Medicine William Strampel is scheduled to be in court on July 12 at 3 p.m. in Veterans Memorial Courthouse in Lansing. 

Strampel faces four criminal charges, including a felony misconduct in the office, a fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct charge and two counts of willful neglect of duty related to ex-MSU and USA Gymanstics doctor Larry Nassar.  

Strampel's case moved forward to trial after a preliminary hearing on June 5 determined that there was sufficient evidence of misconduct in the office and fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct.

On July 6 it was announced that Strampel retired from his position at MSU. 

According to a press release, Strampel signed an agreement on July 5 that would end the tenure revocation process that Interim President John Engler sought in February. 

Strampel will receive a final payment of $175,000, according to the press release. He will also lose some of his benefits related to retirement, but will receive basic retiree health care coverage.

The press release said that the signed agreement will have "no impact on the criminal charges pending against him from the Michigan Attorney General's Office."

Stay with The State News for more coverage on this story. 

Share and discuss “Ex-dean of MSU's College of Osteopathic Medicine William Strampel in circuit court this week” on social media.