Celebrate National Donut Day at capital area bakeries

<p>Owner Katie Anne Lambert shows off some of her delicious creations on Feb. 11, 2018 at Mitten Raised Bakery. Mitten Raised moved from its Okemos location to 1331 Grand River Ave., East Lansing, Mich. (C.J. Weiss | The State News)</p>

Owner Katie Anne Lambert shows off some of her delicious creations on Feb. 11, 2018 at Mitten Raised Bakery. Mitten Raised moved from its Okemos location to 1331 Grand River Ave., East Lansing, Mich. (C.J. Weiss | The State News)

On Friday June 1, bakeries in the Lansing area are frying up rounds of dough in honor of National Donut Day. 

Established in Chicago in 1938, National Donut Day serves to remember The Salvation Army “Doughnut Lassies” who served fried donuts and coffee to the servicemen in World War I. The day is acknowledged every year since on the first Friday in June. 

Check out these local bakeries for a variety of flavors and ways to celebrate the day of the donut.  

Groovy Donuts

Address: 3054 E Lake Lansing Road, East Lansing, MI 

Hours: Tuesdays through Fridays from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. 

Saturdays from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Sundays from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Closed Mondays.

In celebration of National Donut Day, Groovy Donuts is partnering with another East Lansing staple, The Peanut Barrel. Together, the two are combining donuts and burgers to create a new food experience. The Rodeo Burger (bacon cheeseburger) will be offered with the option of a Glazed Donut or Apple Fritter Bun, in addition to a selection of Groovy Donuts for dessert.  

There will also be an exclusive Peanut Barrel inspired donut in honor of the day.

Glazed and Confused 

East Lansing Location: 1595 W Lake Lansing Road., East Lansing, MI

Hours: Monday through Friday from 6:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Saturdays and Sundays from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Kitchen Open Till 3 p.m. daily.

Lansing Location: 107 S Washington Square, Lansing MI

Hours: Monday through Friday from 6:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Saturdays from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Closed Sundays

Glazed and Confused, an urban bakery, prides themselves in baking fresh everyday and avoiding the use of preservatives and high fructose corn syrup. They also try and source their ingredients locally to deliver the best flavored donut, sandwiches and other sweet treats.

Mitten Raised 

Address: 1331 E Grand River Ave., East Lansing, MI 

Hours: Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. 

Saturdays and Sundays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Mitten Raised is locally owned by Katie Anne Lambert and sells a wide variety of donuts, cookies and bakery pastries. Mitten Raised offers unique flavors and bakes their items fresh everyday.   

On National Donut Day, the first 100 customers get a mermaid donut for free, in addition to buy one, get one free donuts all day.

Dunkin Donuts

East Lansing Location: 2139 Haslett Rd.

Open 24 Hours 

Lansing Location: 3415 E Saginaw St. Suite A

Open daily from 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. 

Okemos Location: 3450 Okemos Rd. Suite A

Open 24 Hours

This national donut chain has multiple locations in the capital area to satisfy all your donut needs.  

Come into any location on Friday and receive a free donut with the purchase of any beverage. 

Share and discuss “Celebrate National Donut Day at capital area bakeries ” on social media.