Newly released emails between Nassar and Strampel: 'the media has killed me'

Larry Nassar is escorted out of the courtroom during the first day of sentencing for Larry Nassar on Jan. 31, 2018, in the Eaton County courtroom. Nassar faces three counts of criminal sexual conduct in Eaton County.
Larry Nassar is escorted out of the courtroom during the first day of sentencing for Larry Nassar on Jan. 31, 2018, in the Eaton County courtroom. Nassar faces three counts of criminal sexual conduct in Eaton County. —
Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

Emails sent in Sept. 2016 between ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar and former Dean of the MSU College of Osteopathic Medicine William Strampel detail Nassar's panic after Rachael Denhollander alleged abuse against him. 

In newly released emails, which were uncovered by MLive through the Freedom of Information Act, show exchanges between Nassar and Strampel after the IndyStar published an investigation of USA Gymnastics and Nassar and when Denhollander filed a report with the MSU Police, alleging she was molested by him during his 'treatments.'

"I am trying to take advantage of this time before the 'Me Toos' come out in the media and the second media blitz occurs," Nassar said in one of the emails obtained by MLive.

Nassar said he was worried that the IndyStar "will make their next Crucifixion of me on Monday. That is what I am emotionally prepared for."

After previously wishing Nassar "good luck," Strampel told Nassar he was no longer able to offer support. 

"There seems to have been more people who have come forward," Strampel wrote. "Also, there is a report of an investigation back in 2004 that I did not hear about. We will talk next week when I am back."

Nassar wrote back that "the media has killed me."

"This may not wait until next week. ... Things are moving beyond my control," Strampel responded. 

Nassar was sent a letter from MSU saying the university was considering his termination in light of the reports and allegations against him a few hours later on Sept. 16.

Nassar continued emailing Strampel to apologize.

"I am so sorry that this situation has become so public in the media casting such a shadow over MSU and myself," Nassar wrote. "I understand your position and appreciate all the support you have given to me. My heart is breaking but I will stay strong in my Faith and with the support of my friends and my family I will overcome this."

Nassar received another letter from MSU on Sept. 20 officially terminating his work at the university immediately. 

In December, Nassar was charged with first-degree sexual assault and was indicted on federal child pornography charges for having over 30,000 images of pornography on his computer.

He eventually pleaded guilty to seven counts of criminal sexual conduct and was sentenced to 40 to 175 years in Ingham County and pleaded to three counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct and was sentenced to 40 to 125 years in Eaton County. 

Other emails obtained through the Freedom of Information Act have also uncovered how Nassar attempted to dismiss the allegations against him and how others enabling him offered their support and covered for him. 

According to emails obtained by the IndyStar, Nassar and a USA Gymnastics attorney negotiated on two occasions to cover up the real reason why Nassar was absent from two major events leading up to the 2016 Olympics.  

The first "false excuse" was that Nassar was sick. The other was that he wanted to focus on his private practice.

Share and discuss “Newly released emails between Nassar and Strampel: 'the media has killed me'” on social media.