City of East Lansing to honor veterans for Memorial Day

<p>Photo courtesy of East Lansing Hannah Community Center.</p>

Photo courtesy of East Lansing Hannah Community Center.

Members of the East Lansing community are invited to the Hannah Community Center on May 24 for a special wreath-laying ceremony that will honor the city's past and present veterans.

The City of East Lansing and the Lansing-based 1st Battalion, 24th Marines of the United States Marine Corps will conduct the ceremony at the city's Medal of Honor Memorial and Veterans Monument. The event, a tribute to those who've lost their lives in service of the United States Armed Forces, will take place on May 24 at 3 p.m. 

The ceremony will recognize the Medal of Honor Memorial dedicated to U.S. Marine Corps Reserve 2nd Lt. Sherrod E. Skinner Jr. 

2nd Lt. Skinner grew up in East Lansing and served in the Korean War, according to Hannah Center Director Elaine Hardy. 

“2nd Lt. Sherrod Skinner actually went to school in the building that is now the East Lansing Hannah Community Center,” Hardy said. “It was the original East Lansing High School. He walked these very halls prior to his service in the Korean War.”

After sacrificing his life to protect his comrades, Skinner was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for going “above and beyond the call of duty.”

The wreath-laying ceremony serves as a precursor to Memorial Day, a designated U.S. federal holiday that recognizes past and present U.S. veterans and their service. In 2018, Memorial Day will take place on May 28. 

"As a community member and as an American, I am grateful for the service of all the men and women who are in active duty and who are serving our country,” Hardy said. “I hope that the community will come together to remember those who gave their lives in service. I don’t ever want to forget that.”

To honor local veterans, the City of East Lansing compiled a list of residents who have lost their lives in service. This list can be viewed on the city's website. Members of the community are encouraged to report any service members whose names are not recognized on this list to Elaine Hardy, ehardy@cityofeastlansing.com.

Share and discuss “City of East Lansing to honor veterans for Memorial Day” on social media.