Survey shows mixed citizen reactions as E.L. combats financial woes

The East Lansing City Council on Nov. 21, 2017 at the 54B District Court.
The East Lansing City Council on Nov. 21, 2017 at the 54B District Court. —

A survey showed 71 percent of voters would say "yes" to an income tax, as long as it was limited to 12 years, according to a press release from the City of East Lansing.

Only 25 percent of those surveyed said they would vote "yes" if the income tax was permanent, the release said.

The Lansing-based company, Epic/MRA, conducted a phone survey of 300 registered East Lansing voters, which was commissioned by the city.

A total of 42 percent of responders said they believe the city's performance is on the wrong track, while 31 percent said it was the right direction and 27 percent were undecided.

A total of 32 percent of participants said the East Lansing City Council's and city administration's finance management was fair, while 24 percent said poor, 31 percent said pretty good and 4 percent said excellent.

“We need to a better job of providing information to citizens on the ‘why’ and ‘how’ of our decision-making,” Mayor Mark Meadows said in the release. “It’s important for residents to have a full, factual understanding of the challenges we are facing as we work toward identifying potential solutions, but, particularly now, that also means we must communicate about difficult things that can, at times, put the city’s finances in a less than positive light.”

An income tax proposal failed in the November 2017 election.

Share and discuss “Survey shows mixed citizen reactions as E.L. combats financial woes” on social media.