First Lady Sue Snyder announces 4th summit to combat campus sex assault

<p>Governor Rick Snyder and wife Sue Snyder celebrate the election win Nov. 4, 2014, at the Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center in Detroit, Mich. Jessalyn Tamez/The State News</p>

Governor Rick Snyder and wife Sue Snyder celebrate the election win Nov. 4, 2014, at the Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center in Detroit, Mich. Jessalyn Tamez/The State News

First Lady Sue Snyder announced Michigan's fourth annual “Inform. Empower. Prevent. Let’s End Campus Sexual Assault” summit to prevent sexual assault and change the culture on campuses.

The goal of the event is to continue Michigan’s role in stopping sexual assault and raising awareness, starting with those in college.The conversation of how to deal with sexual assault on campus will be a priority of the summit, which will discuss how to inform, empower and put an end to campus sexual assault. 

It will be held on Sept. 24 at Western Michigan University. It will be a day-long event.

Summits in the past have been held at the Lansing Center, University of Michigan and Eastern Michigan University.

Gov. Rick Snyder announced April as Sexual Assault Awareness Month, and he and the first lady have supported the MI Pledge Awareness campaign. The agenda for this year's campaign can be found online.

“I’m proud of the leadership role Michigan has taken to address the prevalence of sexual assault on our college and university campuses,” Sue Snyder said, according to a press release. “These statewide summits are an important part of our work to raise awareness and prevention efforts to ultimately change the culture and put an end to campus sexual assault." 

Share and discuss “First Lady Sue Snyder announces 4th summit to combat campus sex assault” on social media.