MSUPD collected nearly $2 million in parking tickets this school year

<p>The MSU police building.</p>

The MSU police building.

MSU Police wrote 99,491 parking tickets from Aug. 27, 2017, to April 4, according to information obtained by a Freedom of Information Act request by The State News.

A total of $1,765,020 has been collected through fines, including late fees, according to the request.

In the same time period, East Lansing Police wrote 23,139 parking tickets and 2,530 were warnings, according to information obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request.

The total amount of fines paid is $568,215.50, according to 54B District Court. The number includes fines paid to East Lansing and MSU citations processed at 54B District Court, according to an information request.

MSU citations are transferred to 54B District Court because of lack of payments and appealed or contested citations, court administrator Nicole Evans said in an email.

ELPD issued about the same amount of parking tickets last school year. There were 23,212 tickets issued from Sept. 1, 2016, to April 19, 2017, according to a previous State News article.

From Jan. 1 to April 17, 2017, MSUPD wrote 48,486 tickets, according to the previous State News article.

Share and discuss “MSUPD collected nearly $2 million in parking tickets this school year” on social media.