Men's golf finishes fourth in Hawkeye Invitational Tournament

<p>Then-senior and Co-Captain Charlie Netzel in 2016 during the second round of the 12th annual Inverness Intercollegiate golf tournament hosted by the University of Toledo at the Inverness Club in Toledo, Ohio. Photo courtesy of MSU Athletic Communications.</p>

Then-senior and Co-Captain Charlie Netzel in 2016 during the second round of the 12th annual Inverness Intercollegiate golf tournament hosted by the University of Toledo at the Inverness Club in Toledo, Ohio. Photo courtesy of MSU Athletic Communications.

This past weekend, men's golf participated in the Hawkeye Invitational Tournament while the women's team was invited to the Lady Buckeye Invitational.

The men's team traveled to Iowa City, Iowa, where the team finished with a 22-over-par 598. The final round was cut short from 36 holes because of inclement weather, and the Spartans shot a 21-over-par 309 Saturday afternoon.

Iowa State took home the title with a score of 7-over par 583, which was one stroke higher than Iowa.

"It was a classic Big Ten test - the weather was a little rough and the course played tough because of the conditions," head coach Casey Lubahn said in a press release. "We handled it well; we had our struggles and then came together at the end."

Freshman James Piot led the way for the Spartans, who shot 4-over-par 148 and 6-over-par 78 in the final round, good enough for 11th overall.

The other top-15 finish came from senior Michael Sharp, who shot 5-over-par 149 and finished in 14th place. 

"We're just not sharp enough around the greens, but we're getting closer," Lubahn said. "I liked the mentality today even more than I have in a while."

The women's team headed to Columbus, Ohio, where they finished 16-over-par 592 and received third place. This was also one stroke ahead of fourth-place Washington. 

Sophomore Allyson Geer led the Spartans with a score of 3-over-par 147 and finished at 10th place. Geer was one of seven players to shoot under par in the first round. 

The third and final round round of the Lady Buckeye Invitational was cancelled because of inclement weather.

The men's team will travel to Columbus, Ohio in their final matchup before the Big Ten Championship this weekend. The women's team will begin the Big Ten Championships this weekend.

Share and discuss “Men's golf finishes fourth in Hawkeye Invitational Tournament” on social media.