ASMSU spring semester final report details funding, service use

The ASMSU Office of the President talks during the debate of the bill to condemn MSU administration in regards to their handling of the Larry Nassar case on Jan. 18, 2018, at the MSU International Center. The bill passed with a unanimous vote.
The ASMSU Office of the President talks during the debate of the bill to condemn MSU administration in regards to their handling of the Larry Nassar case on Jan. 18, 2018, at the MSU International Center. The bill passed with a unanimous vote. —
Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

The Associated Students of Michigan State University, or ASMSU, published the ASMSU Office of the President Spring Semester 2018 Report, which provides a detailed overview of the budget, services, new programs and initiatives the organization brought to the university this semester.

Here are the key points from the report

The general fund

ASMSU’s starting general fund balance was $80,010.90 to allocate to specific initiatives or to put back into the fund, which was the same as the fall. 

Forty-two percent of the general fund, $42,204, was allocated and the ending balance was $37,806.90.

The final total reflects the total monetary amount of bills passed through the General Assembly this spring.

ASMSU services

In the spring of 2018, the organization provided 1,248 iClickers to students.

The number of graphic calculators checked out this semester totaled 110, and $7,000 was allocated for the expansion of the program. 

ASMSU also gave $27,150 in loans to students through its ASMSU Loan Program and printed 5,826 pages through its Print/Copy Service.

Along with those services, 7,000 blue books were given out this semester, excluding finals week.  

Additionally, 710 students received help and advice through Student Legal Services, and 43 cases were opened through the Student Rights Advocates. Of these cases, 15 received hearings. 

Lastly, 5,200 Red Cedar Log yearbooks were distributed out of the 7,000 printed.

Safe Ride program

During Student Election Week, students voted to pass a referendum that will collect $3 instead of $2 for the Safe Ride tax in order to expand operating times and improve service, which passed. 

According to the Project TIME survey, which measured student satisfaction with ASMSU services, around 81 percent of students who utilized Safe Ride were satisfied and 10 percent were not. 

As of this semester, Safe Ride has given 3,400 rides to more than 4,900 passengers, and most rides are completed from 10 p.m. to midnight with wait times ranging from 15 minutes to an hour.  

Sexual assault prevention initiatives

In the spring semester of 2018, ASMSU allocated $5,000 toward a Sexual Assault Fund, $5,000 toward sponsoring the MSU Safe Place fundraiser and $7,000 toward a roundtable event for students to discuss sexual assault prevention efforts in the wake of the ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar crisis. 

Elect Her program

On Feb. 17, for the first time ever, ASMSU brought the Elect Her program to campus, following a bill that allocated $2,000 for the event. 

The program aims to encourage young women to get involved with campus leadership and student government. 

Thirty women attended the event, and according to some of the newly-elected female representatives, Elect Her was what inspired them to run for a position in ASMSU

Internal administration

For the first time in many sessions, ASMSU had a full General Assembly this semester.

Four representatives from the colleges of Business, Veterinary Medicine and Social Sciences were appointed for a round that lasted from Jan. 15 to Feb. 15. 

Student allocations

The Student Allocations Board funded 37 Registered Student Organizations, or RSOs, allocating $135,314 for these groups, programs and student activities. 

Six startup groups were approved for $1,800 grants and $127,180 went toward the funding of 12 activity department events and projects put on by the CORES and COPS groups.

Share and discuss “ASMSU spring semester final report details funding, service use” on social media.