Slam poet Olivia Gatwood to perform at MSU Friday

Author and YouTube-famous slam poet Olivia Gatwood is coming to MSU Friday. 

The performance is a University Activities Board event for MSU students.

Her sex-positive, female-driven and against the grain perspectives have brought her recognition on the internet.

Gatwood’s poems, “Ode to the Women on Long Island," “Manic Pixie Dream Girl” and “Ode To My Bitch Face” have been viewed on YouTube hundreds of thousands of times. 

She has been featured on HBO, BBC News, Huffington Post and Button Poetry, receiving acclaim for her craft in the National Poetry Slam, Women of the World Poetry Slam and Brave New Voices.

UAB event director Matthew Mandryk said in an email that Gatwood displays a strong message of gender equality in her spoken word poems. He also said the event will offer MSU’s Sexual Assault Program the opportunity to provide information about the resources available on campus.

“I believe she will bring a a (sic) perspective that is integral to the longevity of this campus,” Mandryk said in an email. “This will be a space of respect and love for each individual present.”

Members of the MSU Slam Poetry Team will open for Gatwood.

The event is at 8 p.m. on Friday in the ballroom at the MSU Union. There is no cost, but an MSU ID is required. Students can bring one guest.

Share and discuss “Slam poet Olivia Gatwood to perform at MSU Friday” on social media.