Unclear if MSU has sent federal officials remaining Nassar files

It is unclear if MSU has sent the remaining files on ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar to the Office for Civil Rights, or OCR.

News spread throughout MSU's campus because of an Outside the Lines, or OTL, article posted Jan. 26 on football head coach Mark Dantonio and men's basketball head coach Tom Izzo. The piece detailed how MSU Athletics handled sexual assault allegations and complaints. 

However, a piece dropped the day before on Jan. 25 by OTL detailed that MSU had yet to send all of its Nassar-related files to federal officials.

According to the article, an OCR attorney reached out to MSU on Jan. 17 inquiring about the missing Nassar files. An MSU attorney then responded later that day and said the university will have an "update" by Jan. 31.

Initially, MSU faced a January 2016 deadline to send "all prior complaints of sexual assault and harassment" after a 2015 agreement with OCR. At the time, OCR determined MSU had fostered a "sexually hostile environment," based on its findings.

When MSU finally sent its files — which was not done until almost a year later — it was missing any reports made against Nassar. An attorney from MSU's general counsel called the gaffe an "unfortunate oversight" when contacting federal officials.

OCR is part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, but when contacted for comment, it deferred to the U.S. Department of Justice, or DOJ.

Devin O'Malley, media affairs coordinator for the DOJ, declined to comment via email Friday afternoon.

MSU responded to request for comment around 11 p.m. Friday night.

Due to litigation MSU is "limited in the information we can provide," the emailed statement said.

"What I can say is our top priority at MSU is supporting the courageous survivors of Larry Nassar’s horrific abuse and providing them with the help they deserve," Associate Vice President for Communications Kent Cassella said in the statement. "MSU is committed to making sure that we are doing what we must to provide a healthy and safe environment for all members of our community. President Engler has called for a culture change at MSU and we will be taking all necessary steps to begin a new day and improve the environment at the university.

Editor's note: This article was updated Feb. 3 to include a statement from MSU.

Share and discuss “Unclear if MSU has sent federal officials remaining Nassar files” on social media.