Ice hockey splits regular season finale against Notre Dame

Freshman Defenseman Tommy Miller (12) looks to clear the puck from his zone during the game on Feb. 17, 2018 at Munn Ice Arena. The Spartans trailed the Nittany Lions 3-1 after the second period. (C.J. Weiss | The State News)
Freshman Defenseman Tommy Miller (12) looks to clear the puck from his zone during the game on Feb. 17, 2018 at Munn Ice Arena. The Spartans trailed the Nittany Lions 3-1 after the second period. (C.J. Weiss | The State News) —

In the regular season finale, the Spartans spilt the weekend series against No. 5 Notre Dame making their overall record 12-19-2.

On Friday night, the Spartans took the loss after falling to the Fighting Irish 6-3. Sophomore goaltender John Lethemon would make a total of 13 saves and gave up four goals before being replaced in the second period by senior goaltender Ed Minney. 

Junior defenseman Zach Osburn would score first for the Spartans five minutes into the second period after being down 2-0. A little over a minute after the first goal for MSU, Notre Dame would score two more to make it 4-1.

Junior forward Brennan Sanford scored the second goal and Osburn would also tally his second goal and the third for the team in the third period, but it was not enough to bring their team back.

Heading into the last game of the regular season, the Spartans would defeat the Fighting Irish 4-3 while being outshooting their opponents 32-23. 

Sophomore forward Taro Hirose and his fellow linemate forward Mitchell Lewandowski scored a total of three goals for their team.

Redshirt sophomore defenseman Jerad Rosburg would have a three-point night for himself as he scored one goal and two assists to make it 4-3 for the Spartans. 

The Spartans will kick-off the first round of the Big Ten Tournament against the Ohio State on March 2 with a 7 p.m. puck drop at Value City Arena at the Jerome Schottenstein Center to play the best out of three games.

Share and discuss “Ice hockey splits regular season finale against Notre Dame” on social media.