Spartan Roundup: Wrestling falls to OSU for fifth Big Ten loss

Redshirt freshman 157-pounder Jake Tucker wrestles with Arizona State's redshirt senior Oliver Pierce during the Michigan State Open on Nov. 5, 2017 at Jenison Fieldhouse. Tucker won the match 5-3.
Redshirt freshman 157-pounder Jake Tucker wrestles with Arizona State's redshirt senior Oliver Pierce during the Michigan State Open on Nov. 5, 2017 at Jenison Fieldhouse. Tucker won the match 5-3. —
Photo by Sylvia Jarrus | The State News

Here's your weekly Spartan Roundup after the men’s basketball team moved up to No. 5 in the latest Associated Press poll and defeated Maryland this past weekend, 74-68.

Women’s gymnastics wins big on Breast Cancer Awareness meet

On Saturday night, women’s gymnastics won huge with a total score 195.525, defeating Eastern Michigan, Rutgers and Pittsburgh. Freshman Lea Mitchell led the way once again and received the all-around title with a season-best 39.325. The team improves to 3-3 overall and 1-2 in the Big Ten.

The team will face Penn State University in the Tumbles and Takedowns meet at 1 p.m. Feb. 4. at Jenison Field House.

Wrestling drops to 1-5 in the Big Ten after losing to Ohio State

On Friday, the men’s wrestling team took a beating from Ohio State, 12-35. The team was led by redshirt freshman Austin Hiles, who upset No. 13 Te’Shan Campbell. Redshirt sophomore Logan Ritchie received his first Big Ten dual win of the season and freshman Christian Rebottaro won again and extended his dual win streak to 3-0 since returning to the starting lineup.

The Spartan’s will travel to Indiana to face No. 24 Purdue at 7 p.m. Feb. 2.

Men’s and women’s swimming and diving team awarded CSCAA honors

This past weekend, members of the men’s and women’s swimming and diving team were awarded College Swimming Coaches Association of America for finishing with a 3.0 grade-point average or higher. 

The men’s team finished with a 3.47 GPA, while the women’s team finished with a 3.44. Both were the highest GPA in both programs' histories. The men’s team received the highest GPA in the enter Big Ten and the women’s team ranked No. 4.

Men’s tennis falls to Princeton

On Sunday, the men’s team battled hard but fell to Princeton University, 5-2, in the singles competition. Freshman Josh Mukherjee put the team’s first points on the board by defeating Kial Kaiser, and freshman Davis Wong won his match right after.

At 6 p.m. Feb. 2, the Spartans will head to Des Moines, Iowa to face Drake University and then New Mexico at 2 p.m. Feb. 3

Women’s tennis defeats Furman

The MSU women’s tennis defeated Furman, 4-0. The team improves to 5-1 on the young season. Junior’s Emily Metcalf and Davina Nguyen led the way and won in the No. 1 doubles match to start off. 

At 5 p.m. on Feb. 2, the Spartans will face Utah State, followed by the University of Akron at 1 p.m. on Feb. 4.

Share and discuss “Spartan Roundup: Wrestling falls to OSU for fifth Big Ten loss” on social media.