Spartan Roundup: Men's and women's track and field set school records

<p>Redshirt-sophomore Justine Kiprotich competes in the men's 1,500-meter run. Kiprotich placed first at the NCAA East Preliminary Round at Lexington, Kentucky with a time of 3:46.51. Photo courtesy of MSU Athletic Communications and Bryan Woolston.</p>

Redshirt-sophomore Justine Kiprotich competes in the men's 1,500-meter run. Kiprotich placed first at the NCAA East Preliminary Round at Lexington, Kentucky with a time of 3:46.51. Photo courtesy of MSU Athletic Communications and Bryan Woolston.

Check out this week's Spartan Roundup after the men’s basketball team moved up to No. 4 in the latest Associated Press poll and defeated Indiana this past weekend, 63-60.

Men’s and women’s track and field team set numerous records at Akron and Meyo Invitationals

On day one of the two events, many Spartans brought home new personal records. 

Sophomore Nick Guerrant took home first in the heptathlon, 60m dash, high jump and shot put at the Akron Invitational. In the distance medley relay team at the Meyo Invitational, the Spartans were led by sophomore Carlyn Arteaga, senior Bridget Blake, junior Kayla Kavulich, and junior Dillon McClintock, who took home first with a time of 11:23.68. 

On day two MSU continued its success from the day before, led by senior Tim Ehrhardt, who broke the school record pole vault with a score of 5.60m. This is the highest mark by any Spartan since Paul Terek at 5.55m back in 2001. This personal record set by Ehrhardt ranks No. 4 in the country, and the highest out of all Big Ten vaulters.

The Spartans will head to the Music City Challenge in Nashville followed by the GVSU Big Meet in Allendale, Michigan from Feb. 9-10.

Men’s and women's swimming and diving team fall to rival University of Michigan

The Spartans' swimming and diving team took a tough loss on Friday, falling to nationally-ranked conference rival University of Michigan. U-M is ranked No. 6 nationally on the men’s side, while the women’s side is ranked No. 3. The men’s team for the Spartans lost, 212-64, while the women’s team fell, 187-89. 

Senior Racheal Bukowski led the way by winning the 100 free, which is her eighth consecutive win in this event. Freshman Amanda Ling received first in the diving 1-meter event with a score of 273.52.

The dual meet season is now complete for both the men’s and women’s teams as they wait for the Big Ten championship. The women’s championship will be on Feb. 14-17, while the men’s championship will be Feb. 21-24. 

Men’s tennis wins big against Drake, but takes a tough loss to New Mexico

Men’s tennis team traveled to Roger Knapp Tennis Center this past weekend, which resulted in a win over Drake University, 4-3, but a disappointing loss to New Mexico, 4-0.

In the No. 1 doubles-matchup on Friday against Drake, senior’s Brett Forman and Jasper Koenen defeated Vinny Gillespie and Barny Thorold, 6-4. Forman also captured the team’s final point in the No. 1 singles-matchup, where he defeated Gillespie to give to the Spartans the win. The Spartans now fall to 3-4 on the season.

MSU will begin a six-match homestand starting with Western Michigan University at 6 p.m. Feb. 9.

Women’s tennis defeats Akron

This past Sunday, the women’s tennis team defeated Akron, 6-1, and now improves to 7-1 on the season and 6-0 at home. Juniors Emily Metcalf and Davina Nguyen continue their unbeaten streak at No. 1 doubles, improving to 5-0 in the spring and 9-4 overall. The duo defeated Carli Knezevich and Miruna Vasilescu, 6-3. Senior Habiba Shaker improved to 11 doubles wins this season. 

The Spartans will get a one-week break and begin their road trip for the next seven matches starting in Auburn, Alabama to face No. 12 Auburn at noon on Feb. 17

Share and discuss “Spartan Roundup: Men's and women's track and field set school records” on social media.