Top 10 ways and places for students to take a breather in Greater Lansing
As the semester pushes forward some students start to feel the stress of social life, classes and jobs. Mental health can be easy to overlook. Below are some ways for students to de-stress in the Great Lansing area.
MSU Dairy Store: The MSU Dairy Store is a staple of East Lansing. It’s a place where families go, people take their dates, where friends meet and where a person can go to get a scoop of ice cream or a chunk of cheese. The Dairy Store has tons of unique flavors that range from a basic vanilla bean to S’mores to a Banana Chocolate Chunk flavor. The Dairy Store offers something for everyone. It’s a great place for students to take a break between classes or to end the day.
- Anthony Hall location: 474 South Shaw Lane East Lansing, MI 48824
- MSU Union location: 107 MSU Union Building East Lansing, MI 48824
MSU Union Spartan Lanes: The MSU Spartan Lanes is located on the bottom floor of the MSU Union. The alley offers reasonably priced games, Sunday through Thursday is $2.25, Friday through Saturday is $3.00 a game. Treat the pins like your stress and knock them down.
Yoga: Yoga is a good way to feel mentally and physically healthy. There are a variety of yoga and cycling places on campus. Some places offer hot yoga while others offer the traditional yoga. Below are some locations around campus that students can check out.
- Yoga State of Mind, Body & Soul: 515 E Grand River Ave
- East Lansing Hot Yoga: 924 Trowbridge Rd, East Lansing, MI 48823
- Bikram Yoga Capital Area: 1355 E Grand River Ave, East Lansing, MI 48823
East Lansing bars: Many students spend time out at bars on their weekends and for a good reason. Having a drink or two at local bars with friends is a great way to take a break out from responsibilities. Many bars around East Lansing offer weekly specials for students to take advantage of. Below is a list of some of the many bars in East Lansing.
- Harper’s Restaurant and Brew Pub: 131 Albert Ave, East Lansing, MI 48823
- Dublin Square: 327 Abbot Rd, East Lansing, MI 48823
- Crunchy’s: 254 W Grand River Ave, East Lansing, MI 48823
- HopCat: 300 Grove St, East Lansing, MI 48823
Trivia: Trivia can test your knowledge while bringing students some fun. There are many places in and around East Lansing that offer Trivia once or twice a week. Who knows? Maybe Trivia can even help students with upcoming exams or classes? Below is a list of some places that offer trivia.
- Crunchy’s: 7 p.m. trivia. 254 W Grand River Ave, East Lansing, MI 48823
- Leo’s Spirits & Grub: 8:30 p.m. trivia. 2085 West Grand River
Catch a live show at Mac’s Bar or The Avenue: Mac’s Bar and The Avenue are two places that hold many events, concerts and comedy shows almost every day of the week. These events are paired with typically cheap drinks. The concerts vary from folk to punk to rap and pop.
- Mac’s Bar: 2700 E Michigan Ave, Lansing, MI 48912
- The Avenue Cafe: 2021 E Michigan Ave, Lansing, MI 48912
The Broad Art Museum: The Broad is a great place for art lovers to spend an afternoon. The museum has many events and new exhibits each week. The museum is also free.
- 547 E Circle Dr, East Lansing, MI 48824
Capital Area Humane Society: The Capital Area Humane Society is a little farther off campus but can be a place for students to escape. The humane society allows people to come and volunteer. This includes petting the dogs and cats that are available for adoption.
- Capital Area Humane Society: 7095 W Grand River Ave
MSU Library: The library is a classic place to relieve stress. The quiet and cozy campus library can offer a haven for students needing a quiet place to sit and study, read or catch up on a TV show. The library recently added a new Scholarship Lab which offers a lot of new and cutting-edge technology that includes VR headsets.
- MSU Library: 366 W Circle Dr, East Lansing, MI 48824
Crunchy’s Comedy Night: “Laughter is the best medicine,” is a quote that has been said for years and the comedians who perform at comedy night prove it's true. Comedy is a great stress reliever. The comedy starts at 10 p.m. every Tuesday night and is free. Located on 254 W. Grand River Ave., East Lansing.