Vice president, secretary of Board of Trustees Bill Beekman appointed acting president

<p>William "Bill" Beekman sits with MSU trustees at a Board of Trustees meeting on Jan. 26 at the Hannah Administration Building. Beekman was appointed as acting president following the resignation of Lou Anna K. Simon.</p>

William "Bill" Beekman sits with MSU trustees at a Board of Trustees meeting on Jan. 26 at the Hannah Administration Building. Beekman was appointed as acting president following the resignation of Lou Anna K. Simon.

Photo by Nic Antaya | The State News

William "Bill" Beekman is now the acting president of Michigan State University.

Beekman, the vice president and secretary of the MSU Board of Trustees, was selected by the MSU Board of Trustees as acting president Friday following the resignation of Lou Anna K. Simon Wednesday.

During a public meeting Friday to discuss the future of the university, the MSU Board of Trustees accepted Simon's resignation.

Beekman will serve as acting president until a interim president is identified, pending a national search for a new president.

Simon's resignation came amid backlash against MSU's handling of complaints against ex-MSU doctor Larry Nassar, who was sentenced to up to 175 years in prison for sexually assaulting women and girls under the guise of medical treatment.

Nassar was previously sentenced to 60 years for child pornography charges and still has another sentencing on Jan. 31. He, along with MSU, are defendants in nine lawsuits.

Following a private, informal meeting held Jan. 19, Breslin read a statement affirming the board's full faith in Simon. 

During the next several days, trustees Mitch Lyons and Dianne Byrum broke ranks and called for Simon's resignation.

Trustees Brian Breslin and Mitch Lyons have both announced they will not seek re-election.

Update 1/28: This story was updated to show Beekman is expected to serve as acting president only until an interim president is identified by MSU.

Share and discuss “Vice president, secretary of Board of Trustees Bill Beekman appointed acting president” on social media.