Asian language and area studies funding competitions

Thumbnail

The MSU Asian Studies Center awards undergraduate and graduate fellowships under the U.S. Department of Education Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) program. These fellowships provide funding for both academic year and summer. The competition seeks meritorious undergraduate students and graduate students undergoing training in modern Asian languages and related area or Asian studies. 

Summer fellowships are for intensive foreign language study. Applicants must be at the intermediate or higher level of language study with evidence of a minimum of 12 credits in the proposed Asian language by the time the fellowship begins. Applicants must be U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents. 

Undergraduate academic year awards provide up to $15,000; graduate academic year awards provide up to $33,000. Summer awards for both undergraduate and graduate students provide up to $7,500. 

The Asian Studies Center at Michigan State University is awarding competitive undergraduate and graduate students with fellowships, scholarships, and paper prizes. APPLY NOW.

FLAS Application Deadline: February 9, 2018. 

For more information about the fellowships and to apply, please visit: https://goo.gl/52zLsL

The S.C. Lee scholarship for undergraduates encourages excellence in scholarship related to Asia. Professor Lee was a noted authority on Chinese history and religion and worked tirelessly to promote further understanding between East Asia and the United States. Students with outstanding accomplishments in Asian studies may compete for an award in Spring 2018.

The S.C. Lee paper competition awards for students with papers focusing on Asia. Students in any academic discipline may submit a research paper (typically 15 – 25 pages with citations) completed for a course or under the supervision of a faculty member at MSU during the spring, summer, or fall semesters of 2017. The paper must focus on Asia or have significant content related to Asia. Book reports or reviews are not eligible. The paper competition is open to both undergraduate and graduate students who are enrolled through the Spring 2018 semester. Only one paper may be submitted per student for the annual competition.

S.C. Lee Scholarship Competition Deadline: February 2, 2018. 

For more information about the competitions and to apply, please visit: https://goo.gl/ahx1T8