Spartan Roundup: Former men's soccer star gets drafted to MLS

Senior midfielder Ken Krolicki (22) dribbles the ball upfield during the game on Nov. 19, 2017 at DeMartin Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Hokies, 3-0, advancing them to the third round of the NCAA Soccer Tournament.
Senior midfielder Ken Krolicki (22) dribbles the ball upfield during the game on Nov. 19, 2017 at DeMartin Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Hokies, 3-0, advancing them to the third round of the NCAA Soccer Tournament. —
Photo by Sylvia Jarrus | The State News

Check out the weekly Spartan Roundup after the No. 6 men’s basketball team beat Illinois Monday night, 87-74.

Former men’s soccer star gets drafted to Major League Soccer

On Sunday, former Spartan soccer player Ken Krolicki was drafted by the Montreal Impact in the Major League Soccer SuperDraft. Krolicki was drafted in the third round with the 53rd pick. 

During Krolicki’s time with the Spartans, he played in 81 games, starting 67 of them. Krolicki finished his career with seven goals and 14 assists, which resulted in a total of 28 points. 

Swimming and diving team defeat Oakland

MSU’s swimming and diving team defeated Oakland on Saturday in the team's final home meet of the season and on Senior Day. The men’s team won, 160.5-133.5, while the women’s team won, 197-103. The team ended with 21 first-place finishes on the evening.

On Senior Day, the Spartans honored 14 members from the team on their final home meet of the season. From the men’s team, Alex Duffy, Tal Hanani, Connor Lamb, Nick Leshok, Lachie McLeish, Mitch Strahlman, Joe Szczupakiewicz and Alex Trompke were honored.

From the women’s side, Racheal Bukowski, Rebecca Hannon, Haley Kornburger, Maison Moore, Anna Stephens and Rosalie Yockey were honored. Many of these seniors took home first-place against Oakland.

The Spartans will face the University of Michigan at 5:30 p.m. Feb. 2

Men’s wrestling team defeats Indiana, but falls to Wisconsin

The men’s wrestling team won big against Indiana on Friday, 18-15. Both teams were tied heading into the final heavyweight battle before redshirt freshman Christian Rebottaro took home the victory, 5-2. The Spartans returned home Sunday to face Wisconsin, but took a tough loss, 28-7. Rebottaro once again led the team with a huge win over Wisconsin's Ben Stone, 15-4, but it was not enough. 

MSU stays at home to face Ohio State University at 7 p.m. on Jan. 26. This matchup will be streamed live on Big Ten Network Plus.

Women’s gymnastics team falls to Minnesota

The women’s gymnastics team fell to Big Ten foe Minnesota this past weekend with a final score of 196.075-194.925. Even with the loss, the team set a season-high with their 194.925 score.

Senior Roya Shirley set a career-high on vaults with a score of 9.800 that gave her third. Shirley finished with a score of 9.825 on the floor, which resulted in an all-around finish of 39.025 on 

At 7 p.m. Jan. 26, the Spartans will face a trio of Rutgers, the University of Pittsburgh and Eastern Michigan University for Pink Night. 

Men’s tennis falls to Notre Dame and Vanderbilt

At Notre Dame this past Friday, the men’s tennis team lost its first matchup this season to Notre Dame, 6-1. On Sunday, the team took its second loss of the season to Vanderbilt, 6-1.

MSU returns to action against Princeton at 11 a.m. on Jan. 28.

Share and discuss “Spartan Roundup: Former men's soccer star gets drafted to MLS” on social media.