Nassar in the News: MSUPD asks about investigative avenues, Maroney prepared for trial

<p>Larry Nassar listens to the judge during the plea hearing on Nov. 22, 2017, at the Veterans Memorial Court at 313 W Kalamazoo St., Lansing. Nassar pleaded guilty to seven counts.</p>

Larry Nassar listens to the judge during the plea hearing on Nov. 22, 2017, at the Veterans Memorial Court at 313 W Kalamazoo St., Lansing. Nassar pleaded guilty to seven counts.

Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

The impact of ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar extends beyond MSU, and its coverage spans internationally. Catch up with the Nassar-related news you might have missed below.

Nassar is accused of sexually abusing more than 140 women and girls, ranging from local gymnasts to Olympic athletes, under the guise of medical treatment.

He was arrested in December 2016 on charges of possessing “at least 37,000” images of child pornography, to which he pleaded guilty. He was sentenced to 60 years in prison for the receipt, possession and destruction of child pornography.

Nassar pleaded guilty to a total of 10 first-degree criminal sexual conduct charges in November 2017 — seven in Ingham County and three in Eaton County. His sentencing for each of these charges could range from a minimum of 25-40 years to life in prison. The Ingham County sentencing is scheduled for Jan. 16 and the Eaton County sentencing is scheduled for Jan. 31.

Nassar is also a defendant in nine lawsuits, all of which also list MSU, MSU's Board of Trustees and USA Gymnastics as defendants.

And now, for the news you might have missed, in order from most to least recent:

McKayla Maroney prepared to go to trial against USA Gymnastics; hopes to effect change in sport marred by sex abuse scandal | New York Daily News | Jan. 6, 2018

Olympic gymnast McKayla Maroney filed a civil lawsuit last month against Nassar, USA Gymnastics, MSU, the U.S. Olympic Committee and 500 unnamed defendants.

The lawsuit details Nassar's abuse and molestation and argues USA Gymnastics' confidentiality agreement with Maroney was in violation of California law. One of Maroney's attorneys said Maroney was "within her rights to go public with the claims," despite the confidentiality agreement USA Gymnastics had her sign.

Maroney's attorneys are fully prepared to go to trial, according to the article.

Editorial: AG should move ahead on MSU probe | The Detroit News | Jan. 6, 2018

An editorial published in The Detroit News called for Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette to conduct an investigation into MSU's handling of Nassar.

"We continue to urge the attorney general to break through the MSU cover-up and determine how a sexual predator of the magnitude of Larry Nassar found a safe haven on the campus for so long to carry out his disgusting attacks," according to the editorial.

3 weeks after MSU OKs counseling fund for Nassar victims, few details available | Lansing State Journal | Jan. 3, 2018

After committing to establishing a $10 million fund for counseling and mental health services at its December meeting, the MSU Board of Trustees hasn't yet finalized details.

The university expects to finalize details within a week, but what is known — the fund will be identified as the MSU Board of Trustees' Healing Assistance Fund.

The fund will act as a resource for survivors when it comes to counseling and mental health services. It is intended to help survivors where they live with the services that make sense for them.

The university has not yet determined who will have the ability to access the fund.

MSU police chief asks prosecutors about other 'investigative avenues' related to Nassar | Lansing State Journal | Jan. 4, 2018

In a letter to Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette and Interim U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Michigan Andrew Birge, the chief of MSUPD asked if there are "additional avenues" he should pursue regarding Nassar.

"All reports regarding the investigations have been provided or made available to your offices," MSUPD Chief James Dunlap wrote. "I would ask at this point in time if there is any additional information or investigative avenues that either of your offices feel should be pursued, please contact Detective Lieutenant Andrea Munford."

Dunlap also wrote that his department interviewed more than 300 people during its investigations of Nassar.

Share and discuss “Nassar in the News: MSUPD asks about investigative avenues, Maroney prepared for trial” on social media.