MSU Delta Chi suspended for 'at least 4 years'

MSU’s chapter of the Delta Chi Fraternity has been suspended for “at least 4 years,” according to an email obtained by The State News.

The chapter’s charter was suspended by the International Fraternity, its governing board, according to an internal email sent Monday by Jim Holman of the chapter’s Alumni Board of Trustees. Holman wrote to members of the chapter that the board learned of the decision Sunday night.

“The suspension is the result of allegations of improper activities during the chapter’s Initiation Week late last fall,” Holman wrote. “I am happy to report that the allegations are in no way whatsoever, related to any injury of any kind, for any of our members, associate members, or others.”

An investigation by the International Fraternity concluded six policies had been violated during the chapter’s 2017 rush week, Holman wrote. The imposed corrective action required the chapter’s immediate suspension and cessation of operation. The suspension is indefinite, but Holman wrote it’s anticipated the chapter could not return for at least four years.

“Unfortunately, Greek systems everywhere are experiencing difficult times,” Holman wrote. “The tragic event at Penn State University as well as many others have become prime subjects for news coverage. The enormous obligation of Risk Management lies with all chapters, but a particular burden is on the International Fraternity. We are confident that their ruling was an effort to protect all of Delta Chi everywhere.”

The suspension was appealed unsuccessfully, Holman wrote. It is unknown what will happen to the chapter’s house, located at 101 Woodmere Ave., at this time.

A State News investigation published in November 2017 revealed that two incidents of sexual assault at Delta Chi were reported since Jan. 1, 2012. MSU has not released a statement regarding the report, which found 19 incidents had been reported at East Lansing fraternity houses since 2012.

The MSU Delta Chi chapter did not return a request for comment at the time of publication.

Share and discuss “MSU Delta Chi suspended for 'at least 4 years'” on social media.