5 stories you missed during break

Drew Cook helps Morgan McCaul, a victim of Nassar’s abuse tie a gag that reads "silence" around her mouth  during a Board of Trustees meeting on Dec 15, 2017 at the Hannah Administration Building. Protesters gathered to address the misconduct of MSU’s handling of the Larry Nassar investigation.
Drew Cook helps Morgan McCaul, a victim of Nassar’s abuse tie a gag that reads "silence" around her mouth during a Board of Trustees meeting on Dec 15, 2017 at the Hannah Administration Building. Protesters gathered to address the misconduct of MSU’s handling of the Larry Nassar investigation. —

1. Trustees announce $10 million fund for counseling services, Simon donates pay raise

During its Dec. 15 meeting, MSU’s Board of Trustees commented on ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar and addressed survivors of Nassar’s abuse.

Amid more than a dozen student protesters and survivors of Nassar’s abuse, MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon and each of the trustees offered apologies for Nassar’s actions.

The board also announced its intent to establish a $10 million fund for counseling and mental health services.

Also during the meeting, the board announced its support for Simon and said it offered Simon a raise. Simon instead requested the $150,000 be repurposed as a donation to the Drs. Lou Anna K. and Roy J. Simon Endowed Scholarship Fund.

2. MSU blasts Wazzu, achieves goals and then some for 10th win

With dreams and aspirations set on the 10th win of the season, the Spartan football team was nearly perfect. MSU ousted Washington State in the Holiday Bowl 42-17; the outcome never quite in question past halftime.

Tailback LJ Scott announced his return with the hype for next season oozing out of San Diego. The Spartans return 19 of their 22 starters as they aim for another Big Ten title for 2018 and beyond.

3. Budget cuts, medical marijuana spotlight City Council meeting

Possible budget cuts are on the table for the city of East Lansing — the main topic of discussion at the East Lansing City Council meeting Dec. 12.

While no decisions have been made yet, the city will need to find new ways to create revenue, as simply making cuts might not provide enough money.

One idea being considered is the city joining the marijuana business.

“If everybody’s right, then this is going to be a culture change, it’s also going to be a revenue change,” Councilmember Erik Altmann said. “There are municipalities in … states that have recreation marijuana in the U.S. that have done this.”

The conversation isn’t expected to end anytime soon.

4. Men’s hoops sits at No. 4 in latest AP poll

After a brutal, shocking loss to Ohio State University on Sunday, the Spartans fell in the AP poll — just not by much. MSU, now 15-2 on the year, is now the No. 4 team in the country.

Previously No. 1 in the ranking, though, it comes as a disappoint to some fans.

However, there’s still plenty of the season left. And a couple more months until the crown jewel of college hoops: March Madness.  

5. Frozen pipe bursts and floods Breslin Center

A ruptured water pipe flooded one part of the Breslin Center during break, but it didn’t have any impact on the MSU men’s basketball game on Dec. 29.

The pipe, near the arena’s southwest entrance, cracked because of freezing temperatures. Ceiling tiles and drywall near the pipe will likely be replaced. 

The Tom Izzo Hall of History wasn’t affected by the flooding.

Share and discuss “5 stories you missed during break” on social media.