City Council will not receive a raise for next two years

East Lansing Mayor Mark Meadows is sworn in on Nov. 21, 2017 at the 54B District Court.
East Lansing Mayor Mark Meadows is sworn in on Nov. 21, 2017 at the 54B District Court. —
Photo by Carly Geraci | The State News

The mayor and city council members will not see a salary increase during the next two years, following a meeting of the Officer Compensation Commission.

Potential raises were discussed at the Tuesday evening meeting.

The Commission, which meets once every two years, decided to not give raises, City Clerk Marie Wicks confirmed.

Members of the Commission said they believe the council members work hard, but a raise was not a smart decision in the light of the city's financial difficulties.

"I don't feel inclined at all to vote for an increase based on all the other factors that are going on," member Nancy Schertzing said.

Mayor Mark Meadows makes $9,634 a year and the council members make $8,172 each per year. 

"I don't think anybody on city council expects us to propose an increase," Wicks said.

In 2015, a 2 percent increase of the mayor's salary and a 1 percent increase of the council members salaries were implemented for the 2016 and 2017 fiscal years. The 2015 raise was the first since 2007.

When a raise is proposed, the council can vote to reject the recommendation. The last time that happened was 2013, Wicks said.

Share and discuss “City Council will not receive a raise for next two years” on social media.