Preview: Football's back as No. 16 MSU meets No. 18 Wazzu in Holiday Bowl

The Spartans take the field before the game against Michigan on Oct. 7, 2017 at Michigan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 14-10.
The Spartans take the field before the game against Michigan on Oct. 7, 2017 at Michigan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 14-10. —
Photo by Carly Geraci | The State News

SAN DIEGO — It's certainly been a minute but MSU football is finally back for the last time this season.

Armed with a flock of Spartan fans from across the country, the No. 16 Spartans wage war against the No. 18 Washington State Cougars in the Holiday Bowl.

Both teams come in with a similar goal and record — a 9-3 mark — with an eye on the elusive 10-win plateau. An extra assist goes to head coach Mark Dantonio as, with a win, he'll hit the 100-win mark during his time at MSU.

All eyes have been on Cougar quarterback Luke Falk who was seen sporting a cast on his left arm earlier this week

The Cougars have also lost two of their top wideouts from this season, Tavares Martin and Isaiah Johnson-Mack. Though their air-raid offense has been a point of strength, coming in as the No. 2 passing offense in the country, amassing 374.8 yards passing through the air.

On MSU's side, as multiple players make their bowl debuts, Dantonio has made a clear emphasis on getting to the 10-win mark.

The Spartan passing defense will be tested as the crew allows 196.5 yards throwing allowed.

It's the final game of the season and year for MSU fans, well, until at least spring football at least.

Pregame reading:

Know Thy Enemy: Cougars abound in Holiday showdown

Holiday Bowl looms: 4 elements to consider vs. Washington State

San Diego warmth, Holiday Bowl festivities showcase fan experience

MSU players to watch: QB Brian Lewerke, LB Joe Bachie, S Khari Willis

Washington State players to watch: QB Luke Falk, DL Hercules Mata'afa, RB James Williams

Kickoff is set for 9 p.m. EST, 6 p.m. PST. The game will be broadcast on FS1. 

Share and discuss “Preview: Football's back as No. 16 MSU meets No. 18 Wazzu in Holiday Bowl” on social media.