Heavy snow expected to hit Ingham County Wednesday

Lansing resident Ellington Fields shovels snow during a snow storm on March 1, 2016 on Grand River Ave.
Lansing resident Ellington Fields shovels snow during a snow storm on March 1, 2016 on Grand River Ave. —

Contrary to Game of Thrones, winter's already here, and students heading home for the holidays will be affected in droves. Heavy snowfall is expected in the Ingham County area throughout the day Wednesday.

Around three to seven inches of snow will affect travel, according to a Facebook post from Ingham County Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management Tuesday.

"In any event, it looks to be the biggest snow we've had so far this winter," according to the post. "And it will be VERY cold, with temperatures in the 20 degree range much of the day."

East Lansing Director of Public Works Scott House advised students to plan for extra time amid the snowstorm and to be ready for any emergency that might happen on the roads.

"The most important thing is be prepared for the worst," House said. "A lot of people take for granted that their car's going to work and they're not prepared in case they get stuck. They might be the best driver in the world, but you don't know what the other driver's going to do."

House said the city of East Lansing will salt the roads throughout the day, especially as most of the snowfall is expected to culminate while the sun is still up.

Share and discuss “Heavy snow expected to hit Ingham County Wednesday” on social media.