U-M Interfraternity Council suspends social activities

The University of Michigan's Interfraternity Council, or IFC, has suspended fraternity social activities and pledge terms amidst hazing and sexual assault allegations.

The decision to ban social events, pledge initiation activities and meetings involving alcohol comes from a number of fraternity presidents at an IFC meeting Thursday, not the university, according to reports.

Social events that will be banned include fraternity-sponsored social events, with the exception of social activities that have already been paid for.

Initiation activities for current pledges will also be banned. 

Because the decision to suspend these activities comes from the IFC itself, it is the IFC that can determine when to lift the suspension.

The halt of these activities follows numerous hazing and sexual assault allegations. 

There were more than 30 hospital transports on the weekend of the MSU game and seven hospital transports during Halloween weekend, according to the Detroit Free Press.

There are sexual misconduct allegations involving fraternity members and allegations of drugging fraternity members. 

There are a total of nine hazing allegations, three of which were reported this week. It's reported that these three put fraternity members in near-death situations.

A "Champagne and Shackles" event supposedly took place this weekend. Dates were handcuffed to each other until an entire bottle of champagne was consumed.

Florida State University administration recently suspended all Greek Life at the university. The decision was based on the death of a pledge and the arrest of a fraternity member.

Share and discuss “U-M Interfraternity Council suspends social activities” on social media.