MSU to host annual Thanksgiving Unity Dinner

MSU's Student Affairs and Services is welcoming all students to a dinner on Thanksgiving, for the 15th consecutive year on Nov. 23.

The Thanksgiving Day Unity Dinner is free and will be held from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. in Brody Hall for students who aren't able to make it home for the holidays.

Some food will be provided by restaurants such as No Thai!, Turkey Man and Bob Evans. Leftovers will be donated to local homeless shelters.

Hundreds of students dine in for the unity dinner each year for an abundance of food, games, prizes and music. 

The annual event began Thanksgiving weekend in 2003 by Dr. Felipe Lopez, then an ORESA aide and a member of Culturas de las Razas Unidas or CRU, who witnessed hundreds of students alone during this family-focused holiday.

That year, Lopez organized a pizza dinner, invited the East Neighborhood and named it "Homies-Giving."

According to OCAT's website, coordinator Juan Flores said as a low income work study MSU student 15 years ago, he knows how beneficial this dinner is firsthand. 

The Office of Cultural and Academic Transitions, or OCAT, is currently looking for volunteers and student performers who have a talent they wouldn't mind sharing.

Walk-ins are welcome to the event, but preregistration is encouraged until Nov. 22. 

Share and discuss “MSU to host annual Thanksgiving Unity Dinner” on social media.