Slow turnout for student voters so far in city elections

The polling station in Precinct 15 at IM West around 11:30 a.m. on Tuesday, November 7, 2017.
The polling station in Precinct 15 at IM West around 11:30 a.m. on Tuesday, November 7, 2017. —
Photo by Nadav Pais-Greenapple | The State News

It's election day in East Lansing, and that means it's time to head to the polls for MSU students who are registered to vote in East Lansing.

Out of 17 total polling locations in the City of East Lansing, five are on MSU's campus. Precinct 1 is at Brody Square, where as of 1:00 p.m. on Tuesday, few voters had showed up. Polls opened at 7:00 a.m. 

In Precinct 12 at the Union, 11 people had voted as of 12:30 p.m.. 

Volunteers at the precinct, located in the Lake Huron Room on the third floor of the Union, joked that in a past East Lansing election only nine voters showed up, so they had beaten their past record. 

At Precinct 15 in IM West, which serves South Neighborhood, 11 voters had shown up by noon. 

Junior Anna Birmingham, a James Madison/Theater double major from East Lansing, said that she decided to vote for city council candidate and MSU student Aaron Stephens after volunteering with him for a Democratic Coordinating Committee during Hillary Clinton's Presidential campaign last year.

Keep checking statenews.com for election updates and don't forget to hit the polls yourself before they close at 8:00 p.m. tonight. More information on the election can be found here. 

Share and discuss “Slow turnout for student voters so far in city elections” on social media.