Beier, Stephens sworn into East Lansing City Council

City council member Aaron Stephens speaks after being sworn in on Nov. 20, 2017, at the 54B District Court.
City council member Aaron Stephens speaks after being sworn in on Nov. 20, 2017, at the 54B District Court. —
Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

Ruth Beier and Aaron Stephens were sworn in as East Lansing City Council members at a special meeting Monday night.

Beier is serving her second term on council.

"I just wanted to thank everybody for their support in re-electing me for my second term,” Beier said. “I look forward to continuing to work for the City of East Lansing. I love it here, I want to stay here forever. That’s why I’m on council, selfishly to make it the best city it can be. Thank you again, and I’ll continue to work hard for everybody in the city.” 

Stephens is an MSU senior elected for his first term on council.

“I’d just like to thank everybody that helped and everybody that voted” Stephens said. “Sincerely this is one of the greatest opportunities I will ever be blessed with. I hope to not let any of you down. I’d like to thank my family for being her and supporting me throughout the campaign season. Honestly, I’d just like to thank everybody, especially the city staff, that worked so hard during the election, of course. I’m excited to be part of this team. I’m excited to serve this community and I’m excited to learn from every single one of you and every member of this community.”

This is the second time in the city’s history that a current MSU student has served on the city council, City Clerk Marie Wicks said.

A new mayor and mayor pro tem will be elected at a special city council meeting, Tuesday at 6 p.m., with a normal city council meeting following at 7 p.m.

Share and discuss “Beier, Stephens sworn into East Lansing City Council ” on social media.