FINAL: Men's basketball throttles Hillsdale to end exhibition play 75-44

Sophomore forward Nick Ward (44) is introduced on the court before the game against Hillsdale on Nov. 3, 2017 at the Breslin Center.
Sophomore forward Nick Ward (44) is introduced on the court before the game against Hillsdale on Nov. 3, 2017 at the Breslin Center. —
Photo by Carly Geraci | The State News

Finally, mercifully, after 120 minutes of exhibition play, the Spartans' preseason schedule has met its end.

If Ferris State was a nail-biter, Hillsdale was a comfortable walk in the park. MSU flexed its defensive muscles in a 75-44 win. The affair never was quite close as the Spartans led the entire game, except for the first 44 seconds when it was tied.

MSU finished its preseason with a perfect 3-0 record against Ferris State, Georgia and now, Hillsdale.

No one MSU standout

The Spartans had a relatively even scoring output, no one player overwhelmingly leading the way. Four different players ended in double-figures. Sophomore Nick Ward led the way with his 14 points.

Forward Miles Bridges struggled, proving that he is, after all, human. The sophomore shot just 4 for 13 from the field for 10 points and three rebounds.

Cassius Winston and Jaren Jackson Jr. both had impressive games, totaling 12 and 11 points, respectively. Winston added another six assists as he started the game at point guard again.

Fourteen different Spartans saw some run, including walk-ons Brock Washington and Jack Hoiberg in the waning moments of the game.

MSU defense stout

Overall, it wasn't pretty. The Chargers finished just 15 of 60 from the field. They didn't score their first basket until over five minutes into the game.

Late in the first half, Hillsdale was just 0 for 12 from 3-point land, though the Chargers did hit a pair from the deep to end the opening 20 minutes. They finished 3 of 25 from deep.

The Charges didn't have a single player score in double-digits to end the game.

The Spartans open up regular season play Nov. 10 against North Florida for an 8 p.m. tipoff. Of course, the matchup against No. 1 Duke looms on Nov. 14 after that in the Champions Classic.

Share and discuss “FINAL: Men's basketball throttles Hillsdale to end exhibition play 75-44” on social media.