Suspicious letters sent to MSU staff, Okemos School District employees

Hannah Administration Building on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News
Hannah Administration Building on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News —

Letters were sent to multiple MSU staff members with contents that "do not constitute a criminal act but concerned the recipients," according to a press release from Meridian Township Police.

There was no threat of violence in the letters, that were also sent to Okemos School District employees and former students.

Additional safety measures were implemented in the Okemos School District. 

The individual who "officers are confident sent the letters," was apprehended in St. Louis with the help of that police department, according to the release.

A felony warrant for malicious destruction of property was issued for the individual, for an incident in Meridian Township on Nov. 10, that was unrelated to Okemos Public Schools.

"Efforts are ongoing to understand his intent and assess his well-being," the release said.

There is an ongoing investigation into the incident.

"Anyone who has information regarding this incident is asked to contact the Meridian Township Police Department at 517-853-4800 or submit any anonymous tip through the Department’s social media sites," the release said.

The letters were sent to more than 50 people who are a part of the suspect's life. There is no threat to the community at this time, Police Captain  Greg Frenger said.

MSU spokesperson Jason Cody said MSU Police is aware of the letters, and are working with Meridian Township Police who are leading the investigation.

Share and discuss “Suspicious letters sent to MSU staff, Okemos School District employees” on social media.