Bridges is day-to-day following ankle sprain

<p>Sophomore forward and guard Miles Bridges (22) reacts to the Spartans scoring a basket during the Champions Classic during the game against Duke on Nov. 14, 2017 at the United Center. The Spartans were defeated by the Blue Devils, 81-88.&nbsp;</p>

Sophomore forward and guard Miles Bridges (22) reacts to the Spartans scoring a basket during the Champions Classic during the game against Duke on Nov. 14, 2017 at the United Center. The Spartans were defeated by the Blue Devils, 81-88. 

Photo by Carly Geraci | The State News

For the second time in six games this season, including the preseason, Miles Bridges suffered an injury that required the preseason Big Ten Player of the Year to head to the locker room.

On Sunday, Bridges drove to the basket in the second half where he would roll his left ankle after stepping on a defender's foot.

Bridges limped around the court before heading off to the bench and eventually the locker room.

Head coach Tom Izzo said after the game that Bridges suffered a sprain and will be day-to-day.

"Thank God it's not a high-ankle sprain," Izzo said. "It's just a sprain where he rolled it. He'll be day-to-day, but it is not a high-ankle, which is encouraging."

This hasn't been the first time Bridges exited a game early this season. In the Spartans' first preseason game of the year, the sophomore guard had to get stitches after a cut above his right eye. Unlike the game against Ferris State, Bridges would not return to the court on Sunday.

Injuries are already beginning to torment MSU this season, as Kyle Ahrens is out indefinitely after aggravating his foot injury he suffered in the offseason, and Kenny Goins is out "a couple weeks" with a mild knee sprain. 

Share and discuss “Bridges is day-to-day following ankle sprain” on social media.