Men's basketball No. 2 in AP preseason poll

Sophomore forward Miles Bridges (22) dunks the basketball during the game against Ferris State on Oct. 26, 2017, at the Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Bulldogs, 80-72.
Sophomore forward Miles Bridges (22) dunks the basketball during the game against Ferris State on Oct. 26, 2017, at the Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Bulldogs, 80-72. —
Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

The men's basketball team was named the No. 2 team in the country in the AP's preseason poll and gathered 13 first place votes.

The Spartans only sit behind the No. 1 Duke Blue Devils, who they play in the Champions Classic in Chicago on Nov. 14.

There are three other Big Ten teams in the AP's preseason poll: the No. 15 Minnesota Golden Gophers, No. 19 Northwestern Wildcats and No. 20 Purdue Boilermakers.

The No. 2 Spartans are coming off a 20-15 season in which they lost in the second round of March Madness to the Kansas Jayhawks, 90-70.

MSU also has a plethora of talent coming back last season including the "Super Sophomores" and have Ben Carter and Gavin Schilling coming back from injuries they suffered last season. The Spartans also brought in freshman forwards Jaren Jackson Jr. and Xavier Tillman to help beef up the front court.

Share and discuss “Men's basketball No. 2 in AP preseason poll” on social media.