Goins out for couple weeks, no set timetable for Ahrens

<p>Duke guard Grayson Allen (3) attempts to shoot a basket as sophomore guard Cassius Winston (5) and redshirt junior forward Kenny Goins (25) attempt to block during the Champions Classic during the game against Duke on Nov. 14, 2017 at the United Center. The Spartans were defeated by the Blue Devils, 81-88.&nbsp;</p>

Duke guard Grayson Allen (3) attempts to shoot a basket as sophomore guard Cassius Winston (5) and redshirt junior forward Kenny Goins (25) attempt to block during the Champions Classic during the game against Duke on Nov. 14, 2017 at the United Center. The Spartans were defeated by the Blue Devils, 81-88. 

Photo by Carly Geraci | The State News

Forward Kenny Goins will be out for a couple weeks after suffering a mild sprain in his left knee, Tom Izzo said after practice on Thursday. 

This is the same knee Goins injured during February 2016 and re injured during MSU’s lost to Middle Tennessee State in the NCAA Tournament. He would receive surgery and missed all of the summer 2016 before getting back to the court fall of last year.

Forward Jaren Jackson Jr. said with Goins being a stretch power forward and being able to space the floor, his talent will be missed.

“He gives me a break when I need it and he literally does everything right. Kenny’s in the right position at all times,” Jackson Jr. said. “Usually I just follow him in practice to pick up things, so it’s going to be tough not having him.

Izzo said the “tweak” in Goins knee shouldn’t keep him out for long, and is just hopeful his Spartans can get through these next games without his forward.

“It’s a bump in the road, but it also slows our process down of trying to get in rhythm and trying to get a true rotation, especially when you have a lot guys,” Izzo said. “Sometimes coaches will tell you ‘it’s easier when you got seven (players)’ but I don’t believe that. I just feel bad for the kid.”

This is the second player for Izzo’s squad to go down with an injury this season, with Kyle Ahrens aggravating a stress reaction in his right foot during practice earlier this season. 

Izzo said after practice on Wednesday he still has “no idea how fast” Ahrens’ injury is recovering, having different people tell him he’ll have Ahrens back in six weeks and having other people tell him three months.

“If it’s three months, he’s pretty much done, but if it’s eight weeks, there’s a decision to be made and it will be made between him and his family and me,” Izzo said. “We just have no idea.”

Share and discuss “Goins out for couple weeks, no set timetable for Ahrens” on social media.