Conrad's Grill looks to settle in to newest location

Political theory & constitutional democracy junior Annie Nguyen and Conrad's Grill owner Joe Conrad pose for a photo at the new Conrad's location at 311 W Grand River Ave. on Nov. 14, 2017.
Political theory & constitutional democracy junior Annie Nguyen and Conrad's Grill owner Joe Conrad pose for a photo at the new Conrad's location at 311 W Grand River Ave. on Nov. 14, 2017. —
Photo by Peter Atkins | The State News

Conrad’s Grill, the popular late night eatery widely adored by MSU students, opened a new location in early November. The new store is located at 311 W Grand River Ave., adjacent from Biggby Coffee.

GoombaS Pizza were previous tenants of the location. 

“It’s all kind of guessing right now, we think we’ll lose a little from the late night bar business,” Joe Conrad, owner of Conrad’s Grill, said. “We think that we’ll gain more steady business from all the residents around here.” 

As reported by the State News, the Conrad’s location on the corner of Grand River Avenue and Abbot Road closed in January of 2017 because of a leasing dispute. 

“We got kicked out, to make room for the new project,” Conrad said. “We didn’t want to leave but were forced to."

The newest Conrad’s location is open tentatively from 11:00 a.m to 10:00 p.m. Once Conrad finds enough workers, they will be open until 3 a.m, he said. Job applications are available at the new location.  

“It was always a good atmosphere there; the food is obviously amazing,” construction management junior Noah Southworth said. “It was kind of a party away from the party.”

jtf-08161704

Noodles & Company is now located at the former Conrad’s space. Their previous location is less than a block away. 

“When I first saw it, it was pretty heartbreaking at first,” Southworth said. “It closes so early, it’s not open late like Conrad’s used to be.”

“I didn’t think the food was that amazing, and it was kind of dirty and whatnot in there,” economics senior Jack Yarger said of the old Conrad's location. “However, I thought it was kind of cool after all the bars, there was this one destination that all the students would go and hang out, get food. ... I’m happy that the building is not vacant anymore, but I think that Conrad’s having that location was better for the community and environment for students.” 

Even with a slow start, Conrad is optimistic his newest location will be just as successful as the last. 

“That store we didn’t take any deliveries or pick up orders because we had no parking,” said Conrad. “This store will be delivering and taking pick up orders. So many more residents that live closer to this store. ... This location is way more convenient than the old location, other than when the bars get out. It’s just a matter of college students getting into their patterns and knowing where things are.” 

Share and discuss “Conrad's Grill looks to settle in to newest location” on social media.