ASMSU passes bill to advocate for new student information system

<p>&nbsp;Vice President for Academic Affairs senior Ewurama Appiagyei-Dankah (Left), &nbsp;Vice President for Finance and Operations Dan Iancio, President of ASMSU Lorenzo Santavicca, &nbsp;Katherine Rifiotis Vice President for Internal Administration &nbsp;Katherine Rifiotis, and Vice President of Governmental Affairs &nbsp;Tyler VanHuyse laugh during an ASMSU meeting on Oct. 5, 2017 at Student Services. The meeting concluded by passing Bill 54-06 which aims to support sexual assault victims in the MSU community by a vote of 39-2-0.&nbsp;</p>

Vice President for Academic Affairs senior Ewurama Appiagyei-Dankah (Left),  Vice President for Finance and Operations Dan Iancio, President of ASMSU Lorenzo Santavicca,  Katherine Rifiotis Vice President for Internal Administration  Katherine Rifiotis, and Vice President of Governmental Affairs  Tyler VanHuyse laugh during an ASMSU meeting on Oct. 5, 2017 at Student Services. The meeting concluded by passing Bill 54-06 which aims to support sexual assault victims in the MSU community by a vote of 39-2-0. 

Photo by Sylvia Jarrus | The State News

At the latest ASMSU general assembly meeting, a bill was passed to advocate for a new student information system that would allow students to retake classes even if they did not fail. 

The contract for the current student information system software expires soon, and members of the ASMSU academic affairs committee Jack Person and Caroline Colpoys sponsored a bill to urge the university to institute a better software. The bill passed unanimously. 

Person was absent from the meeting, but Colpoys took the opportunity to explain the necessity of the bill to the assembly. 

"So, a bunch of students — CSE 101 being the chief example that we use here -- people who do poorly in that class but not poorly enough to retake it, often that brings down their GPA a lot," Colpoys said. "Or their TAs, Jack [Person] being one of them, will encourage the students to actually fail the class on purpose so they can retake it."

Colpoys also explained that various academic governance committees had worked to come up with a new plan that would work, so long as software that supports the program is made available. 

"It's adding time to the degree, obviously you have to pay for the credits again, and so it's a financial burden, and a bunch of academic governance committees had endorsed a plan to update the retake policy where you can retake a class up to two times, you have lower priority than those who are taking it for the first time or people who need the class in order to move on in their academics," Colpoys said. 

The meeting also featured an update on the status of the Hughey Fund. Finance Committee Chair and the bill's sponsor Max Donovan implored representatives to reach out to the deans of their colleges to find donors. 

"We have not been as strong on the fundraising as any of us would like to be," Donovan said. 

Vice President of Governmental Affairs Tyler VanHuyse also detailed what his office is doing in order to support the fund, which helps survivors of sexual assault with their financial burdens. 

"Obviously I want to stress that we should definitely be doing as much advocacy for the Hughey Fund as possible," VanHuyse said. "On our end of Governmental Affairs, we are reaching out to the Realtor's Association within East Lansing and the Bar and Restaurant Association in the hopes that they will provide some kind of funding."

VanHuyse also urged representatives to encourage their constituents to vote in the upcoming local election on November 7. He said that rides will be available to help students get to their voting precincts. 

"We will be having motor pool availability," VanHuyse said. "So, essentially we'll be having a few vans drive around campus all day in distinct routes that they would be able to pick students up, take them to the polls, and visa-versa."

Vice President for Internal Administration Katherine Rifiotis announced the resignation of College of Natural Sciences Nathan Patel and read from his letter. 

"He says, 'I really wanted to be an active member and make a difference, but because of a class conflict with the meeting's timings, I resign as a general assembly member. Sorry to put you guys in this situation,'" Rifiotis read. 

Rifiotis also offered an update on the hiring process for open seats in the general assembly. 

"We are interviewing currently," Rifiotis said. "We're going through interviews right now. We had a pool of over 20 applicants for the College of Natural Sciences, Vet Med, Nursing, and Com Arts and Arts and Letters."

Share and discuss “ASMSU passes bill to advocate for new student information system” on social media.