Spartans say that Minnesota is no trap game

<p>Junior linebacker Andrew Dowell (5) collides with Michigan running back Karan Higdon (22) during the game against University of Michigan on Oct. 7, 2017, at Michigan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines 14-10.</p>

Junior linebacker Andrew Dowell (5) collides with Michigan running back Karan Higdon (22) during the game against University of Michigan on Oct. 7, 2017, at Michigan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines 14-10.

Photo by Anntaninna Biondo | The State News

While Spartan fans across the country have been soaking in and raving about MSU’s upset victory over then-No. 7 Michigan last weekend, the team has completely put that win in its rear-view mirror and have set the main focus on Minnesota. 

“It was a huge game,” safety Andrew Dowell said. “We had a great weekend. It was fun beating those guys, but we leave it in the weekend. We’re on to Minnesota as of now. Coach D always puts up on the board after the Michigan week that we’re 8-2 in his era after the Michigan game, so we got to continue to take that forward and put all of our efforts towards Minnesota.”

The Wolverines took control of the game early, but a turnover forced by MSU completely reversed the momentum in the Spartans’ favor, leading to a 14-10 win to advance to 4-1.

Anytime a team records a high-stakes victory like the Spartans last weekend, it's hard to ignore the potentiality of a trap game.

“I wouldn’t call it a trap game for us,” Dowell said. “That’s not the term we would use. Each week we try to go 1-0, so this week we got Minnesota on the clock. They’re a great team. That got a really good running attack, and we got to come prepared to shut them down.”

While most on the team said they don’t consider this a trap game, quarterback Brian Lewerke admitted it has crossed his mind. 

“I definitely thought about that,” Lewerke said. "I’m sure most of the guys have — that this could potentially be a trap game for us. Coach D has a good record no matter win or loss after the Michigan game, so I think it’ll definitely be a focus, and I think we’ll be fine Saturday.”

MSU is 8-2 under head coach Mark Dantonio after the Michigan week.

“We've actually tracked how we play after our big games,” Dantonio said. “We track that, ever since 2007. I've always believed what you do when you're at an emotional high, what are you going to do next, should be defined for our players. We talked about that yesterday. I think after the Michigan game we’re 8-2. That's whether we've won it or lost it, we're 8-2. It's a good measuring stick, but you need to be prepared for that.” 

Running back Madre London said it’s important MSU doesn’t savor the Michigan victory for too long as the remaining seven games aren’t guaranteed wins. 

“It means a lot,” running back Madre London said. “You got to put that win aside because it’s not the end of the world and it’s not the end of the season, it’s actually the start of the Big Ten, really. We just got to stay strong. We can’t keep thinking about that just like we came into this season thinking about last year. We can’t keep thinking about last year."

London made sure to note there is a lot of games still left to be played.

“We got to go do it this year. It always can get worse as Coach D was saying, so just because we’re 4-1 and won more games than last year doesn’t mean we can’t be 4-and how many other games left we have. So just got to take it one game at a time and come in and just put our heads down and work and stay humble.”

Share and discuss “Spartans say that Minnesota is no trap game” on social media.