Spartan Roundup: Volleyball sweeps Wisconsin

<p>&nbsp;Senior middle blocker Alysaa Garvelink (17) and senior outside hitter Holly Toliver (18) react after a play &nbsp;during the game against Wisconsin on Oct. 7, 2017 at Jenison Fieldhouse. The Spartans defeated the Badgers, 3-1. &nbsp;&nbsp;</p>

Senior middle blocker Alysaa Garvelink (17) and senior outside hitter Holly Toliver (18) react after a play  during the game against Wisconsin on Oct. 7, 2017 at Jenison Fieldhouse. The Spartans defeated the Badgers, 3-1.   

Photo by Sylvia Jarrus | The State News

After a weekend filled with mostly Spartan victories, here is the roundup for the week.

Men's Ice Hockey wins first exhibition game

On Saturday, the hockey team played their first exhibition game on Saturday defeating the University of Toronto 3-0 under new head coach Danton Cole. 

Freshman Mitchell Lewandowski assisted on all three goals scored from sophomores Patrick Khodorenko, Taro Hirose, and junior Cody Milan. Goalies senior Ed Minney and sophomore John Lethemon split time in the crease during the game.

The team will start their regular season play on Friday at Bowling Green and will play their home opener on Saturday at 7:05 p.m. 

Women’s Volleyball improves to 5-1 in Big Ten Conference 

After losing to Nebraska and snapping their Big Ten streak last week, the Spartans came out victorious against Wisconsin for the second time this season.

After falling in the first set, the Spartans rallied back to take all three sets to improve their overall record of 12-3.

Their next game will be on the road against Penn State at 7 p.m. on the Big Ten Network. 

Men’s soccer tied with Wisconsin

On Saturday night, the men’s soccer team tied with Wisconsin with a score of 1-1. 

MSU is now tied for second place with Indiana for 11 points. They are currently 9-1-2 overall and 3-0-2 in the Big Ten Conference and are still No. 6 in the country.

The team will head to West Virginia on Wednesday at 7 p.m. where head coach Damon Rensing looks for his 100th career win.

Women’s soccer loses to Penn State 

On Sunday, women’s soccer was defeated by Penn State with a score of 4-0 making their overall record 5-10.

Redshirt sophomore Reiliey Ott saw 80 minutes of playing time, only allowing three goals. Redshirt senior Savanna Wojtanowski gave up one goal while only playing nine minutes.

The team will face off against Michigan on Saturday on home turf at 6 p.m. in a fight to increase their record.

Men’s Tennis success at Notre Dame 

At the Bobby Bayliss Invitational at Notre Dame, four Spartan tennis players earned their first collegiate win on Sunday. 

The team claimed 16 victories at the invitational in singles and three doubles win. They finished the competition with a record of 19-22.

Women’s Tennis duo ranked 14th 

Juniors Emily Metcalf and Davina Nguyen represented MSU at the Riviera Intercollegiate Tennis Association on Thursday and Friday.

The duo are currently ranked No. 14 by ITA Preseason Doubles Rankings making it the highest preseason ranking in the school’s history. 

On Oct. 5, the duo fell in the opening round of the main draw 8-4 to No. 17 Fernanda Contreras and Emily Smith of Vanderbilt.

Women’s Basketball announced Michigan State Madness

Women’s basketball announced the Michigan State Madness for Oct. 20. Doors open at 8:30 p.m. and the program will start at 9:30 p.m with free admission.

There will be autographs, player introductions and scrimmages.

Share and discuss “Spartan Roundup: Volleyball sweeps Wisconsin” on social media.