Spartan Roundup: Volleyball continues dominance, Men's soccer thrashes OSU

The Spartans react to a play during the game against Ohio State on Sept. 30, 2017 at Jenison Fieldhouse. The Spartans defeated the Buckeyes, 2-0.
The Spartans react to a play during the game against Ohio State on Sept. 30, 2017 at Jenison Fieldhouse. The Spartans defeated the Buckeyes, 2-0. —
Photo by Carly Geraci | The State News

Here’s everything you missed over the weekend while watching MSU beat Iowa 17-10 at Spartan Stadium.

Spartans in the NFL

Le’Veon Bell, RB, Pittsburgh Steelers: Bell finally broke out this weekend, rushing for 144 yards on 35 attempts for two touchdowns. Bell would also add four receptions for 42 receiving yards in the Steelers 26-9 win over AFC North rival Baltimore Ravens.

Kirk Cousins, QB, Washington Redskins: Cousins threw for 220 yards and two touchdowns in the Redskins Monday Night Football loss against the Chiefs. Cousins also ran seven times for 38 yards.

Trae Waynes, CB, Minnesota Vikings: In the Vikings 14-7 loss against the Detroit Lions, Waynes had four solo tackles and one assisted tackle, along with a pass deflection. Waynes leads all Vikings defensive backs in total tackles with 25.

Men’s soccer beats up on OSU, moves down two spots in United Soccer Coaches poll

The now No. 6 MSU men’s soccer team beat up on then No. 16-Ohio State, 5-1. Forward Ryan Sierakowski led the scoring for the Spartans netting two goals, making his goal count three on the year. Scoring leader forward DeJuan Jones also put one in the back of the net, making his goal total five on the year.

The 8-1-1 Spartans also moved down two spots in the United Soccer Coaches poll on Tuesday, going from No. 4 in the country to No. 6. However, in the first official RPI rankings of the season, the Spartans sit at the No. 1 spot.

MSU will next play a trio of road games, starting with the Western Michigan Broncos tonight at 4:30 p.m. in Kalamazoo. MSU will then play at Wisconsin Saturday night and at West Virginia next Wednesday.

Volleyball continues string of dominance

The MSU volleyball team kept on rolling this past weekend, sweeping Big Ten opponents Maryland and Ohio State, improving their record to 11-2 and 4-0 in Big Ten play.

The Spartans have now swept 10 of their 13 opponents, including their last three straight against the Terps, OSU and Minnesota.

The Spartans will play the Nebraska Cornhuskers tonight in Lincoln, Nebraska, with the game scheduled to tip off at 8 p.m.

Women’s soccer gets first Big Ten win over the weekend

The women’s soccer team broke even this past weekend, losing to Big Ten opponent Nebraska on Friday evening, 3-0, and then beating the Iowa Hawkeyes, 3-2, on Sunday afternoon for their first Big Ten win of the season.

Forward Jamie Cheslik netted in the go ahead goal in the second half of the game against the Hawkeyes, making it her sixth goal of the season. Forward Lexi Warner would have the other two goals for the Spartans, making her goal count now four on the season.

The now 5-8 Spartans will next take on the No. 17 Ohio State Buckeyes this Friday night in Columbus, Ohio. The Spartans will then travel to University Park, Pennsylvania to take on the No. 14 Penn State Nittany Lions Sunday afternoon. 

Field hockey’s three-game winning streak snapped against top ranked opponent

MSU field hockey went into last Friday night with a tough task to bring down No. 4 Penn State, but fell short losing to the Nittany Lions, 1-0. Last Friday’s lost makes MSU now 6-6 and 1-2 in Big Ten play on the season.

The Spartans will next face off against No. 17 Maryland this Friday afternoon at Ralph Young Field in East Lansing. That game is scheduled to start at 4 p.m.

Men’s and women’s golf both have top five performances

Both the men’s and women’s golf teams finished in the top five of their respective tournaments, with the men’s finishing fifth shooting 30 over par in the Marquette Intercollegiate in Hartford, Wisc., while the women finished third, shooting 14 over par in the Windy City Collegiate Championship in Highland Park, Illinois. 

The men will next play in the Cooked Stick Intercollegiate on Oct. 16-17, while the women will next play in the Lady Tar Heel Invitational from Oct. 13-15.

Men’s tennis seniors represent MSU at ITA All-American Championships

Seniors Michael Dube and Brett Forman represented the Spartans at the ITA All-American Championships from Sept. 30-Oct. 3, with Forman knocking off ranked opponent Wisconsin's No. 92 Josef Dodrige (6-0, 6-1) in the qualifying consolation.

The men’s tennis team will next travel to South Bend, Indiana this weekend to participate in the Bobby Bayliss Invitational.

Women’s tennis starts off strong in season opener

The women’s tennis team started off strong their season strong this past weekend in the Wildcat Invite, having a 10-4 record in singles play and 6-5 record in doubles play.

The Spartans will look to continue their good start in the ITA Regionals in Ann Arbor, Michigan from Oct. 12-17.

Share and discuss “Spartan Roundup: Volleyball continues dominance, Men's soccer thrashes OSU” on social media.