Spartan Roundup: Men's soccer at No. 7 in the rankings

Sophomore defense Michael Pimlott (5) passes the ball during the game against Penn State on Oct. 14, 2017 at DeMartin Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Nittany Lions in the pouring rain, 1-0.
Sophomore defense Michael Pimlott (5) passes the ball during the game against Penn State on Oct. 14, 2017 at DeMartin Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Nittany Lions in the pouring rain, 1-0. —
Photo by Carly Geraci | The State News

After the football team moved up to the No. 16 ranked, here is what you missed in other Spartan sports.

Women’s Volleyball sweep Maryland

On Saturday night, women’s volleyball swept Maryland 3-0 in the match and in the season. Senior setter Rachel Minarink earned her 4,000 career assist during the match and named Big Ten setter of the week.

The team remains as the No. 10 rank and will face No. 7 Nebraska at 8 p.m. on Friday at Jenison Field House.

Men’s ice hockey ties series against Western after 3-1 loss

After taking the victory on Friday night against Western, the team traveled to Kalamazoo where they lost 3-1.  Sophomore forward Patrick Khodorenko would score the lone goal for the Spartans to make it his third of the season.

Freshman forward Mitchell Lewandowski was also named Big Ten First Star of the Week. He tallied four points on Friday's victory of 6-4, the most points by a Spartan freshman since 2009, with one goal and three assists.

The team will head back to Munn Ice Arena at 7:05 p.m on Friday to start the series off against Lake Superior State.

Women’s soccer ends in tie with Maryland

The women’s soccer team took on Maryland on Saturday ending in a tie with no goals scored. Redshirt senior goalie Reilley Ott made a total of seven saves for the Spartans after playing for 110 minutes.

The team will take on Northwestern for their last home game of the season at 6 p.m. on Wednesday. The team’s overall record is 6-10-1

Men’s Soccer improves to 5-0-2 in Big Ten Conference

After traveling to Northwestern Friday night, the men’s soccer team defeated the Wildcats 2-0 to improve their Big Ten record to 5-0-2. Junior forward Ryan Sierakowski and sophomore defenseman Michael Pimlott scored both goals.

The moved up to No. 7 in the rankings and Pimlott received Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week. 

Yesterdays game against No. 16 Notre Dame was canceled due to inclement weather. The Spartans will return to DeMartin Stadium on Sunday, Oct. 29 to play No. 2 Indiana at 3 p.m. where it will host senior night and celebrate head coach Damon Rensing's 100th career win.

Men’s Basketball first exhibition game

At 7 p.m. on Thursday, the men’s basketball team will play in their first exhibition match of the season against Ferris State. The game will be broadcasted on BTN Plus. 

The team also announced a charity game for Sunday at 2 p.m. at Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids, Michigan against the University of Georgia to help raise awareness and financial support for hurricane relief. 

Women’s field hockey defeated by Northwestern

On Sunday afternoon, the women’s field hockey team were defeated 8-2 against Northwestern. Senior forward Grace Santi and redshirt senior midfielder Kendal Anderson scored the two goals for the team. The team’s record is 8-10.

The team will travel on Sunday at 1 p.m. to face the Maryland Terrapins.

Men's golf team tied for sixth

The men's golf team tied for sixth after two rounds of play in Vero Beach, Florida at the Quail Valley Intercollegiate. The Spartans are tied with Louisiana Monroe and are two shots out of being a top three team.

Men's Tennis competes at ITA Midwest 

The team traveled to Ann Arbor on Sunday and competed at the ITA Midwest Regional Championship. Four Spartans competed in the main draw of singles play, which is the most since 2014.

Junior Alex Kim, senior Michael Dube, and freshman Davis Wong were 2-0 in the singles qualifying draw. 

Women's rowing finished 25th

The women's rowing team competed at the 53rd annual Head of the Charles Regatta for the third straight season on Sunday in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Out of the 36 teams, the team finished 25. 

The team finished higher than two Big Ten competitors, The University Michigan and Minnesota University, who placed 30th and 31st.

Share and discuss “Spartan Roundup: Men's soccer at No. 7 in the rankings” on social media.