Homecoming no distraction for Spartans

Floats will parade through MSU’s campus, MSU alumni will gather and the Spartans’ basketball team will have its Midnight Madness leading up to MSU’s homecoming game against Indiana. 

Starting last Sunday, the festivities commenced for MSU’s annual homecoming week. It’s a time in East Lansing where Spartan alumnus and fans alike flock to campus to soak in the week-long entertainment and end the week by supporting the Spartan football team on Saturday. 

But for the MSU football team, it’s just another week.

“That’s a great thing for people to come back and all that,” sophomore linebacker Joe Bachie said. “We’re still going to go out there. We’re still going to play the same ball, but just more Spartan fans are going to be there, and Spartan nation is going to be behind us.”

Activities this week include hayrides, a chance to meet the Homecoming grand marshal, a healthy Homecoming walk around Demonstration field and, of course, the Homecoming Parade. 

It is also encouraged that you swap out any light that can glow with a green bulb until Saturday to show your Spartan spirit. 

Former MSU quarterback Connor Cook is among the alumni expected to return to their alma mater.

Current MSU quarterback Brian Lewerke said he expects to see several other former teammates over the course of the week.

“Obviously, I’ll see a couple of the guys that can come back,” Lewerke said. “I think Connor Cook’s coming back to enjoy East Lansing again. It’ll be fun seeing him and just all the guys from past teams.”

The Spartans have won three of the last last five homecoming games, with their most recent win coming in 2015 against Purdue.

MSU will enter Saturday looking to avenge last year’s 24-21 loss to the Hoosiers in overtime in 2017, which broke the Spartans’ seven-game winning streak over the Hoosiers. 

In 2013, the Spartans faced the Hoosiers for their homecoming game and came away with a 42-28 victory. 

Saturday’s game will mark the 64th meeting between MSU and Indiana. The Spartans lead the all-time series 45-16-2, including a 24-6-1 record at home and a 7-1 record with head coach Mark Dantonio at the helm. 

While campus will be more congested with fans and with this game being labeled as the homecoming game, the team’s preparation for Indiana doesn’t change.

“Obviously, it’s a fun day on campus,” linebacker Kenny Willekes said. “There’s a lot of people on campus, but for our actual game approach, it doesn’t change at all.”

Share and discuss “Homecoming no distraction for Spartans” on social media.