ASMSU suggests code of conduct for off-campus students

The Associated Students of Michigan State University's policy committee met to discuss the possibility of off-campus student regulations. 

Vice president for governmental affairs Tyler VanHuyse spoke on the topic and student liaison Sarah Ghazal presented.

VanHuyse told committee members that their thoughts on the issue are important since this topic will likely be discussed by the larger university administration. 

“This is something that will most likely come up, and if we don’t get in front of it, we might lose our chance to provide our input,” VanHuyse said. 

VanHuyse explained that expanding on-campus rules for students to off-campus areas is not unheard of. 

“Ten of 13 Big Ten schools have off-campus codes of conduct, and they come in many different forms and fashions," VanHuyse said. "….Only a few have policies that allow universities to adjudicate any on or off campus violations as if they occurred on campus.”

In her presentation, Ghazal explained that certain policies are already enforced by the university off campus. 

“A lot of those policies don’t have an off-campus thing because some of them can be found in the RVSM and the anti-discrimination policy, which means the OIE (Office of Institutional Equity) will handle the investigation, and not Student Life," Ghazal said. "So, if you were like sexually harassed, sexually assaulted, or an act of discrimination, then the university does have jurisdiction through OIE.”

Ghazal also explained the process to amend general student regulations, or GSRs. 

“To amend the GSRs, you take a community member like me or you guys as members of the GA and then you go to the University Committee on Student Affairs….and they can propose amendments. And then it will go to University Affairs and Council, and then it will pass there.”

One example of off-campus regulations that VanHuyse posited to the committee was a model used by Rutgers University. 

“Rutgers has an off-campus code of conduct, and it’s a three-tiered code of conduct," VanHuyse said. "So, essentially the first two if I’m not mistaken are just kind of minuscule things that go through the system and might be less serious incidents. For example, a neighbor in the community could file a complaint with the university about your actions off campus if you were tearing things apart, doing illegal activity and depending on the severity of your actions, if it fit in the first two tiers of complaints, than they would suggest that to a resolution or conflict resolving entity and they would bring you together with that third party just kind of to discuss what the problems are.”

While off-campus student regulations were the main subject of discussion at the meeting, reports from the Office of the President updated members on other information. 

Vice president for finance and operations Dan Iancio offered an update on the status of the newly created Hughey Endowment Fund to help survivors of sexual assault. 

“We’re going to have a meeting to discuss actual implementation of the fund here soon, but I will say that it is up and running," Iancio said. "It was set up this week and it’s called the Hughey Endowment Fund if you go on MSU Give, you’re able to make contributions. So, we are able to start soliciting donations from donors."

Vice president of academic affairs Ewurama Appiagyei-Dankah informed the committee that a new academic registrar will soon be hired. 

“Next week, we are interviewing the semi-finalist candidate for the new registrar," Appiagyei-Dankah said. "Just a couple things about the registrar. I don’t know if students necessarily realize the impact that a registrar has on their student experience. For example, the registrar is the one who makes sure that whatever books and texts we need for courses are up on StuInfo and MSU Schedules on time.”

The next ASMSU General Assembly meeting will be held on Thursday, October 19.

Share and discuss “ASMSU suggests code of conduct for off-campus students” on social media.