ASMSU Finance Committee names new vice chair

At the latest meeting of ASMSU's finance committee, a new vice-chair was elected to replace the former, who resigned at last week's general assembly meeting. 

James Madison College representative Dylan Westrin will serve as vice-chair alongside chairperson Max Donovan. Westrin replaced former vice-chair Ben Roggenbuck

Donovan said he believes Westrin's work ethic will positively impact the committee. 

“It’s a good step forward for us, and we’re going to see a lot more efficiency from our body because of it,” Donovan said. 

Donovan also included that Westrin's enthusiasm also sets him apart from previous vice chairs. 

“I’m ecstatic to see him do it," Donovan said. "This will be the first time in a long time that we’ve had a vice-chair who not only willingly stepped into the role, who filled all of the requirements and responsibilities of that role without expecting a chair to pick up the slack.”

The meeting also featured a presentation from director of University Services and Purchasing Kim Watson.  Watson detailed a potential plan for University Services and Purchasing to partner with students on a project following a question from Vice President for Student Allocations Stephen Brown. 

“One of the places that we’re looking at is with autonomous vehicles, and different types of transportation and robotics," Watson said. "We haven’t actually started conversations yet, but we’re looking at the College of Engineering….to see what we could look at into the future with something as near term as 2020-ish.” 

Watson also explained that the department is entrusted with certain legal powers by the university. 

“The contact review is one element, but we also have agency authority for the university," Watson said. "So, we are authorized agents of the university to make external commitments on behalf of the university and campus departments.”

Watson also shed light on what the Purchasing department of the university does. She summed up that the department's main job is to help get the university's needs met with the best deal. 

“Sometimes our needs can be somewhat unique," Watson said. "So, we work very hard to make sure that those needs are met, and to be responsible stewards of the university’s resources. What that translates to is saving money in large part.”

ASMSU President Lorenzo Santavicca also urged committee members to try to collect funds for the new Hughey Endowment Fund to help survivors of sexual assault, as a part of "It's On Us" Week.

The next ASMSU general assembly meeting will be held on Nov. 2 in the Student Services building at 7 p.m. 

Share and discuss “ASMSU Finance Committee names new vice chair” on social media.