Report: Organization led by Richard Spencer suing MSU

<p>On June 5, 2017, at the Hannah Administration Building. Statements were made by then-President Lou Anna K. Simon and Trustee Brian Breslin based on the findings of the Jones Day Law Firm's report on the MSU football programs compliance.</p>

On June 5, 2017, at the Hannah Administration Building. Statements were made by then-President Lou Anna K. Simon and Trustee Brian Breslin based on the findings of the Jones Day Law Firm's report on the MSU football programs compliance.

Photo by Jon Famurewa | The State News

The organizer of white nationalist Richard Spencer's speaking tour filed suit against MSU late Sunday night claiming the university violated Spencer's first amendment rights, the Detroit Free Press reports. 

MSU denied a request by the National Policy Institute, of which Spencer is the president, to rent space for a speaker on campus last month.

In denying the request, MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon cited safety concerns following the violence in Charlottesville.

"The diversity they shun is a source of our strength, like America itself, and every day some 65,000 students, faculty and MSU staff — and half a million alumni — are the living proof," a statement released by Simon read. 

"So we will not be intimidated, nor stoop to reciprocate hate... We stand with our colleagues across the country for the best of humanity, and our resolve is implacable. Spartans Will."

Read Simon's full statement on refusing the request here.

Share and discuss “Report: Organization led by Richard Spencer suing MSU” on social media.