MSU Police reminds students to plan in advance during National Preparedness Month

MSU Police is urging students, faculty and staff to plan ahead for emergency response and mitigation strategies.

MSUPD recognizes September as National Preparedness Month, to remind community members to stay informed, according to a release. 

“An emergency or disaster can occur at any time and at any place,” Captain Penny Fischer, MSUPD Emergency Management Commander said in the release. “By being informed and prepared, the MSU community can react during an emergency or disaster in a manner that will assist themselves and others.”

MSUPD released safety tips for the in the event of an emergency or disaster, which include: 

• Knowing safety routes in the case of evacuation of a living place, workspace or classroom.
  • Establishing a common meeting point in the event you are separated from family or friends, and having the necessary contact information for them.
  • Prepare an emergency supply kit with food, water, medication, sanitation supplies, flashlights, batteries and clothing and sleeping materials.

In the event of an emergency, MSUPD said in the release they're responsible for distributing emergency notifications on or near MSU's campus. Individuals can sign up for their automated alert system at alert.msu.edu.

Share and discuss “MSU Police reminds students to plan in advance during National Preparedness Month” on social media.