MSU Athletics Hall of Fame class of 2017 inducted

<p>&nbsp;Bob Apisa gives a speechat the 2017 Athletic Hall of Fame induction on Sept. 28, 2017, at the Wharton Center Pasant Theatre. Apisa was a starting fullback on Big Ten and National Championship teams in 1965 and 1966, and concluded his MSU football career with 1,343 yards. The induction is part of the “Celebrate 2017” weekend in addition to the Varsity Letter Jacket Presentation to current student athletes and a special acknowledgement of the Hall of Famers at the upcoming Michigan State-Iowa football game at Spartan Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 30. &nbsp;&nbsp;</p>

Bob Apisa gives a speechat the 2017 Athletic Hall of Fame induction on Sept. 28, 2017, at the Wharton Center Pasant Theatre. Apisa was a starting fullback on Big Ten and National Championship teams in 1965 and 1966, and concluded his MSU football career with 1,343 yards. The induction is part of the “Celebrate 2017” weekend in addition to the Varsity Letter Jacket Presentation to current student athletes and a special acknowledgement of the Hall of Famers at the upcoming Michigan State-Iowa football game at Spartan Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 30.   

Photo by Sylvia Jarrus | The State News

The class of 2017 of the MSU Athletics Hall of Fame took stage at the Wharton Center’s Pasant Theatre Thursday night, and were formally inducted into the MSU Athletics Hall of Fame.

The five new members of the now 144 Hall of Fame are former MSU fullback from 1965-67, Bob Apisa, former MSU men’s soccer head coach for 32 years and goalkeeper from 1966-68, Joe Baum, former track and field star, Bob Cassleman, former women’s basketball star from 2001-2005, Kristin Haynie, and former athletic administrator, Clarence Underwood.

For Apisa, who was a member of the last two NCAA championships brought to East Lansing, said he cried when he first got the call from Athletic Director Mark Hollis.

Baum said he was worried at first getting a call from Hollis, thinking one of his coaching peers had health issues or passed away. Then Hollis told him he was voted into the Hall of Fame.

“I was speechless for a little bit I didn’t know what to say and then I went ‘Oh my gosh thank you, thank you,” Baum said. “I went from concerned and a little worried… to the induction and it was just wonderful. I’m just so grateful and so happy.”

Baum said he’s “truly honored” that he was selected to be inducted into the Hall of Fame, especially since he was a goalkeeper for the 1967 and 1968 Co-National Championship squad.

“To coach at a school you played at is a thrill in itself, and then the culminate, the playing and the coaching with this Hall of Fame, is like the epitome of joy for me,” Baum said. “Sometimes I still pinch myself (and wonder) am I going to wake up and find out this is a dream? It’s wonderful.

Apisa said he was also honored to be inducted, but made sure everybody knew he wasn’t the only being inducted to the Hall of Fame Wednesday night.

“I’m going into the Hall of Fame with them, not leading them,” Apisa said. “Michigan State, with all the great players--a lot of them are no longer here--it’s a great treat.”

Share and discuss “MSU Athletics Hall of Fame class of 2017 inducted” on social media.